Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 weeks ago

Does the US have Customs and immigration for when you leave the country ?

• Foofa

The Man knows all whether you're coming or going. So just assume you can't get away with any malfeasance.

• RICK

The airlines and security check your passports

Customs doesn't care unless you are leaving the country with more then $10,000 dollars. That must be declared, if found and not declared it will be confiscated

I've done a lot of international travel (been to 36 countries), and of all of them, the U.S. is the only country (other than land travel between countries within Europe) that I've been to that does not have customs and border control when leaving the country. 

• random_man
      4 weeks agoReport

Forgive me, I shouldn't have said customs. I meant passport control. I haven't had bags looked at or anything, but they always check and sometimes stamp my passport. 

Airlines check your passport for international flights. All passenger data goes to US immigration authorities, but they do not have a separate counter for immigration, nor do they stamp passports. Customs has sniffer dogs for drugs & other sorts of contraband, and there is baggage inspection (behind the scenes, so to speak) for all checked bags. Carry-ons, personal items, and persons go through security checks, including X-ray for all items, and scanner for persons.

So immigration will have a record of your departure - date, time, flight, etc. And it all goes in the computer. If you overstayed, of course, they know although they will not stop you from departing.

For land crossings instead of air, there are border patrol & customs inspection stations at all border crossings.

• KGA3 weeks agoReport

"All passenger data goes to US immigration authorities"How can you know that?

a) Customs do a drug and other tests by "sniffer dogs" on international departure.

b) I am unsure about passport inspection and departure stamps in the US. Most countries have departure stamps for passports.

No, there is currently no passport control or Customs when exiting the USA. Only the airline will need to see your passport if you are departing on an international flight. However, that may change at ground & sea border crossing points as people with arrest warrants are evading detection by walking across the border into Canada or Mexico. .

• Bill-M

No. Long time ago Immigration would check your Passport but not the Air Line Takes care of that when you check in. You have to show your Passport to the Air Line Check in Counter when you get your boarding pass. If you check in on-line and print your boarding pass you will still have to stop at a desk.

Yes....... every country has that. This also could have been looked up on Google, but instead you decided to be a moron. Thanks for the 2pts