Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

What are my rights as a tenant in the state of Maryland? (Detached single family home)?

My parents & I have been living in a detached single family home for about 14 years now with my uncle (owner) & his family & other renters.

There is no written contract but we still pay rent as we agree upon. We were given the biggest room with a bathroom attached, which my family lives in. We were also allowed to put stuff in the kitchen & share the garage as well. It’s been going on like that for a long time until recently The house has many damages, such as visible mold, damage roof of the house & a collapsing garage, which is damaging our stuff in there & rodent infection. The owner doesn’t call to get professional help but instead does it himself but it isn’t well done. During this year he has been complaining as if indirectly but clearly to us. He has been slowly trying to make it uncomfortable for us to live there by slowly reducing our space in the kitchen & limiting the use of water, electricity & gas saying we are using too much but in reality we have 10 people living in the house. He also doesn’t allow anyone in the recent year to use personal ACs or heaters or allow us to open our windows In our rooms and if we do, he yells/threatens us. So for a few months we limit our electricity and water use greatly but he still blames it on me & my parents. He just shows the whole bill & not divide up the usage but blames it solely on us. 

What rights and procedures do i have and can I go through if things turn for the worse?

9 Answers

  • G R
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Not much since your family/parents didn't sign a lease regardless how long you have lived there

    If there are 10 of you living there then the bill should be divided by 10, period end of story.

    I think it is in your families best interest to find an apartment and move out.

  • 3 weeks ago

    You have the right to give your notice and MOVE! With his temper & the other issues you need to exercise that right.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    In most states, the only "right" you'd have is he can't evict you easily. It usually requires a court hearing. Otherwise, it's his home and he can do whatever he wants with it. He can make shoddy repairs by himself. He can say no window units. What would make you think otherwise?

    What's odd about your question is you completely glossed over the obvious question anyone would have: why are you still living there? Also, why are your parents living there? With no lease, you're allowed to leave any time you want. You don't give your age, but it sounds like you're an adult. This means you don't have to wait for your parents to leave.

    There's no way I'd ever live like this.

  • 4 weeks ago

    You have the right to move anywhere you want that you like more than your current situation. Simple. He has no obligation to rent to you. With no written lease, he can change the terms basically whenever he wants.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    So you are on a month to month contract, you can give one months notice in writing you will be leaving and fid somewhere else to rent that is more suitable for you

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You most likely have the right to 30 days notice if he wants to kick you out. That's all. He can change the rules - it's his house. Sounds like it's time for your parents to look for a different place to live, and give him notice that you're moving.

  • 4 weeks ago

    He has a right to refuse personal ACs and heaters. They often pose fire hazards and the rent paid is based on the current household AC/heater. Space heaters and other forms of ACs are huge electrical guzzlers. Since it is a house, make do with the household AC. You and everyone else will have to agree on a comfortable setting. If you cannot agree, that's what you get when you share with others. He is entitled to make repairs himself and if he wants to do a hack job, that's his business. It's his house and the house value is his loss as a result, nobody else's. Your parents rented under the current circumstances. If they failed to discuss how the bills would be split, then they have to live with how the landlord chooses to split the bills. Perhaps, those who don't pay a portion pay more rent. What they pay is not your affair. If your parents are not happy with the status quo, then perhaps it is time for them to move.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 4 weeks ago

    that situation likely violates occupancy limits due to the number of un related if you call the city, you definitely will need to look for a new place to stay.

    you should be working (even just baby sitting, housecleaning, dog walking if under 16) to help pay the bills.

    with income from the 3 of you, you should be able to afford something better.

    a landlord can choose to no longer include use of the garage as long as he gives you notice (a month) and does not need to fix it....

    maybe spend less on stuff, and more on rent for a nicer place.

    not likely that you have any legal right to stay absent a get your acts together and find a better place to live.

    you don't get to tell him to fix anything, you get to notify him if you see something that needs fixed and request it be fixed....

    if it becomes not functional, you are free to sue to try to force the repairs....and landlord has the right to increase everyones rent to pay for repairs....

  • 4 weeks ago

    To add on:

    His personality & his angry outburst makes it hard for us to tell him to fix it & it has been going on for a few years now.

    I am afraid of what might happen to us & have no idea what rights we have in this situation. everyone is afraid to speak out & are keeping silent.

    Currently he is just moving our stuff out of the cabinets in the kitchen without our consent nor has he personally told us.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.