Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Why do atheists think that absence of evidence is the same thing as evidence of absence?

I don't know any adult who thinks that way.

• Tony B

That's a bit of a tired cliche! I don't know of anyone who does think that really.

I imagine you're referring to a disbelief in God? There are lots of things that I accept that I have no evidence of but if something is SO improbable as to be effectively impossible then I would need some evidence if I was even to think about believing it.

• geezer

Because that's how SCIENCE demonstrates that things don't exist.

If that wasn't the case then all of the Roman, Greek and Egyptian Gods would exist as well as the ONE God that you believe in .. while YOU dismiss all the others.

• barty

Do you believe in Santa, werewolves, fairies, Bigfoot, Nessie, leprechauns, Thor, the Easter Bunny and a living Elvis? If absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, then surely some if not all of those things must exist.

Evidence of absence certainly includes absence of evidence. Even if you are attempting a possible undiscovered existence, you still need evidence that an actual possibility exists. For example, life on this planet is evidence for the possibility of other life. We can rationally say that other life "may be" undiscovered. There is zero evidence for any possibility of any Gods and actually evidence of the natural order of complexity that would prohibit such an existence. But even without that, if you are saying there is an absence of evidence, then why are you believing in the first place?

I couldn't care any less. Evidence merely creates a hypothesis. It is proof of nothing. Only proof creates fact.

• DELGRAD

Proof only exists in maths, logic and alcohol. There are no scientific proofs.

We don't in general. Some atheists do not understand that it's impossible to prove the general non-existence of something. Sure we can prove the non-existence of something local, but not universally.

We cannot, for example, prove that unicorns do not exist somewhere in the universe. Nor can we prove that a super magician that made the universe does not exist.

Anyway, those of us who understand logic don't attempt to prove the non-existence of a magician who made the universe. All we ask is for the theists to prove the existence of that magician...and that hasn't happened yet.

• Babs

I don't think that. However, I do think that absence of evidence justifies non-belief.

• oikoσ

Theists are in no position to talk about evidence.

Atheists on the Yahoo answers section are literal demons typing their answers from literal hell on literal computers. I know this because God revealed it to my while I prayed to him