Do you think it is bad for a parent to bond with their kids via video games?

If the parent is a stay at home parent who though does keep the house clean, yard neat, and cooks real food. They are a gamer who seems to be initiating their kids. Do you think that is going to have a negative effect on the children?

• LizB
    Best Answer

Seems like a good way for the parent to a) spend time with their kids by sharing mutual interests, b) monitor in-game behavior and interactions, and c) teach balance between responsibilities and hobbies. Can't see a downside, really.

• I agree, Plus I mean I think the future is video games...when it starts getting into simulations and all of that.  At that point will we be thinking of them as negative impacts? Doubt it. 

There's nothing wrong with doing that but you should also bond with them in other ways. For example you can do things with them such as taking them to the zoo or to a nearby beach or even your local swimming pool.

If the stay at home parent is also teaching about balancing play with responsibilities, then it isn't a problem.

I am a parent of two daughters.  My husband is actually not a gamer - I am and so are my two daughters.  But, we have never let gaming come ahead of things like homework, housework, and going to actual work.  It is about teaching the balance between fun and responsibility as well as bonding with the kids.

• I don't see the harm. My dad played Nintendo with us when we were growing up, and he and I still talk about video games. He used to find stuff in Legend of Zelda and show me where it all was when I'd get home from school, and we taught each other how to get through Mike Tyson's Punch Out, though I was the only one who was able to beat Tyson (only twice, and only by decision, but a win is a win). I introduced him to Halo: Combat Evolved, where he beat the game on Legendary, whereas I never even bothered, simply because that was way too much work for a minimal payoff (the trick, he told me, was to just get through the checkpoints and not try to kill every single thing).

Mom, on the other hand, played Duck Hunt until she was too good at it and then decided to never play video games again, deeming them to be "kid's crap." She said the same thing about the books we liked, the shows we liked, and the movies we liked, whereas my dad was always interested in knowing what we were into. Surprise, surprise, to this day I talk to my dad at least once a week, and when I'm not on a job and am home, I see him 3 or 4 times a week. My mom, I see her about once a month, and I talk to her on the phone with about the same frequency. The same thing goes for my brothers.

The point is to bond with your kid, any way you reasonably can. You can't expect for them to share all of your interests and you're not going to share all of their interests, but as they grow older, they'll appreciate the time you took and the effort you made, and it'll inspire them to do the same with others. It's the foundation of the "social" part of society.

no its not bad as long as its in healthy amounts of time and mixed with other things.

If it is played obsessively it might be a problem.

As an occasional thing to do together - no.

No it is not sir.

That is a normal thing to do