Was the book of Genesis written during the Babylonian exile?

Update:

For those of you that don't know, the Babylonian exile was 598 b.c.e. to 538 b.c.e.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Written? No. It was _written_ in the 3rd century BC according (~270BCE) to external (outside attestation) and internal textual evidence (language, anachronisms). However, the stories were likely _told_ and passed along orally in the 6th century BC. The stories existed before the writing.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, but it was also written down earlier. Many traditions were passed along orally before they were written down.

• Hindusufi
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Very good Publius, I see now that you know something.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, Hindusufi, The Elohist and Yahwist and Deuteronimic texts were forged by Hilkiah and placed in the hollow column he then ordered repaired so that their "discovery" would fool everyone who participated in the Josiannic Reforms of 627 BC. The Talmood was written during the Exile between 598 BC and 1350 AD, the nineteen and a half centuries it took to compile it. Yes, the strictly "Babylonian" Exile may have ended with the re-building of the Second Temple under Sheshbazzar and Zerubbabel, but it was that same Exilarch, the Rosh-ha-golah and his College of Geonim that moved from Babylon to Damascus to the "New City" they built: Bagdad. So don't confuse yourself by splitting hairs.

• 4 weeks ago

I think it was probably written in 1200ad by some old white priest who wanted to tax the poor more :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Babylon was not even thought about at the time Adam was created. It is so sad that God has given mankind a guide-book to the most wonderful life we could ever ask for, but so few people even pick it up although they have one in their homes. If you want to be truly happy, the Bible is the book you need to read so as to "come to know the only true God and Jesus Christ."--John 17:3---Who is "the only true God"? Does he have a name? What is God''s Kingdom? Why did Jesus die? Why is there so much suffering in the world? Will suffering ever end? These are all questions that Jehovah's Witnesses can show you the answers to right from the Bible. I invite you to look into the international website, jw.org and Bible Teachings > Bible Questions Answered. IF you believe what you learned, you can request your free persona Bible study online or from the next witness who knocks on your door or by visiting your neighborhood Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is never a collection taken, all literature is free for the asking and all are welcome. Thank you for this question.

• Wow, dumb. You're not even aware of your own religion's traditional scripture dating. Moses is said to have written 'Genesis'. And, while Moses is not a historical figure, he is placed within the historical context of the late Bronze Age; a time when Babylon was definitely around.

• 4 weeks ago

Probably. There are a lot of parallels with the Babylonian creation story, aside from the deities of course. Then again it could have been written after the exiles returned during the leadership of Ezra or Nehemiah.

• 4 weeks ago

I'm not sure, but I will say that Donald is showing his lovely christian true colors tonight.

Who would want to be a christian with him as an example?

Not me.

• Juli4 weeks agoReport

Much respect to both Mr. King and Mr. Bonhoeffer. I'd still have to pass on the religion.

• 4 weeks ago

No, it was written during and immediately following the Exodus from Egypt. Moses has been given credit for writing Genesis and the next fours books of the Bible. Since Moses dies at the end of Deuteronomy, the change in writing style is attributed to Joshua, when he took over the task of leading the Israeltes into the Promised Land.

• Donald
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

when Moses was long dead?

nope.

only someone unlearned would think such things.

(or someone trolling believers)

- OR BOTH?

• Juli4 weeks agoReport

Donald, you are the epitome of an arrogant religious prick. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.