Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Is it a bad sign if it's been 48 hours and my background check is still not done?

I submitted my application 2 days ago and the tracker says it's still in progress.. is that a bad sign? I do have something on my record but it's a misdemeanor...from what I read is that the background check takes 48 hours but Its been longer than that...

• Bruce

No, that doesn't have to be a bad sign. Regardless of what it says, I've never heard of a background being done in 48 hours.

The misdemeanor may disqualify you, but that wasn't your question.

That depends on WHO is conducting the check and WHY. If they are doing anything more than a criminal records check, 48 hours is EXTREMELY SHORT.

Not necessarily...

Most employers pay third-party companies to run background checks. Some of these companies will offer discounted rates for running checks in weekly batches instead of on a daily 'as needed' basis.  Your application may have been submitted between these batch runs and your employer might be waiting for next week's results.

If you're applying for a management job or one where you could be handling large sums of money, the employer might be running a "deeper" check that looks for arrests and criminal complaints.  Unlike court convictions, these are not usually available on an easily-searchable state database and often require contacting local police departments one by one (if you've lived in several different places through the years).  Checks like these can take weeks.

It can take much longer and normally does. It could be sitting in someones in box who's out sick. Relax.