If you have writers block, what helps dissolve the proverbial wall?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Tell yourself this is work and you have to meet a deadline. HTH!

• 4 weeks ago

If all else fails, scotch.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Stream of consciousness, Willie. Stop battering at the "wall". Forget the Wall and its perception. Just start typing like mad and assess what you have typed much later.

• 4 weeks ago

masturbation

masturbation

masturbation

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I don't believe in writer's block any more than I believe in waiter's block or driver's block. You put your damned butt in the chair and write, whether you like the results or not.

The people who claim they're blocked often fall into tidy categories.

--They don't have a solid idea to write about

--They need to do research to write what they want to, but haven't

--They lack the mastery of written English to produce good results and see their work is poor

--They don't read and are fairly clueless about how to tell a story on the page

--They cannot accept that their first draft is bad, expecting it to be quite good, and it freezes them

--They think other people expect really good writing from them and can't be sure it's what they're producing

--They thought writing would be fun, not work

So sit down and write--and here's the block-busting advice: Give yourself permission to write crap. Nobody has to see it. Page after page of crap can be rewritten, revised, edited, or rethought and restarted, but the blank screen or page stays blank.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Sufficient time spent away from it not actively thinking about it. Works for me every time.

• 4 weeks ago

Try relaxing for as long as it takes then get back to writing.

• 4 weeks ago

A wreking bol, duh

• 4 weeks ago

still tryin to figure it out myself

• 4 weeks ago

Bleach, or any type of acid

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.