Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

Is it true that all the people we thought were just awkward Nerds in school in the 80s and 70s were actually persons living with autism?

We knew about kids with autism back then too, but those kids were the ones who spoke in sing-song voices if they spoke at all, and waved their arms and acted very unusually.

Then there were the kids we just thought of as nerds, with bad social skills and poor hygiene who would do inappropriate things and always be in trouble.

So BOTH groups were actually autistic? Is that true?

@gypsyfish I'm afraid you have an incorrect idea of school in the 70s and 80s. We had at least 3 children with autism join our class. One in 4th grade and 2 in 6th grade. They displayed all the symptoms of autism such as echolalia, stimming, etc.

no.........................

What's happened is they decided a scientific label must be applied to nerds sometime about 20 years back. Autism was the most convenient, even though there is a world of difference between a true autistic person and one with Aspergers Syndrome.

Umm...no. Not all austistic people are "awkward nerds", and not all awkward nerds have autism. Sure, some might have been on the spectrum, but many probably weren't

There were almost certainly kids who were on the Asperger's spectrum. But I don't think you understand what "autism" is. Those children wouldn't have been in school with you in the 70s, and probably not in the 80s.

• TheBellJar
      4 weeks agoReport

I never had any kids with autism in any of my classes in the 70s and 80s. With severe ADHD I was the one everyone picked on. I think they must have been putting autistic kids in asylums back then.

Yes. All nerds have autism, this has been proven by nasa. They confirmed it in 2015.