How do you pronounce Thalia?

My friend and I are big fans of the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series, but we can never agree on how you say Thalia's name. Is it pronounced "Tal-ee-ah", "Thay-lee-ah", or something totally different? Or does it even matter at all?

Update:

Would both pronunciations technically be correct?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Tah-lee-ah is how the name is pronounced

• 3 weeks ago

Ta-Lee-Ah is how I pronounce it.

• 3 weeks ago

My childhood friend was named Thalia, and there was also a character on a popular TV show with that name. Both pronounced it THALE-yuh.

• 4 weeks ago

We have a street by that name and we pronounce it Thalia rhyming with failure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I pronounce it TAL-ee-ah or THAL-ee-ah

Tal like Talcum powder or Thal as in Theodore.

If I meet a Thalia, she will correct me.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I've only known one Thalia, and she pronounced it THAYlee-a, which unfortunately rhymes with failure.

• 4 weeks ago

It's usually pronounced 'TAH - lee - yah'.

The 'tah' and 'yah' rhyme with Ma and Pa and Bah!

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That name, like many others in the Percy Jackson series, is lifted from Greek mythology.

Therefore, there are established English pronunciations for these names.

The respective Wikipedia page has two pronunciation alternatives: ˈθeɪlɪə and θəˈlaɪə, i.e. both of them have a th-sound.

Merriam Webster has only the second pronunciation (maybe it's a British vs. American English thing) which you can listen to by clicking on the little sound icon: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Thalia

Needless to say that neither pronunciation matches the Greek one, be it modern Greek or any of the ancient Greek varieties.

Whether it matters or not is for you to decide. When I read a book, I feel the need to figure out the pronunciations of names even when they're totally made up. But that's just me and it's how I pronounce them in my head.

You are the reader and you are free to pronounce the name in whichever way you like; others might disagree and they have the same right for their own version, of course. Riordan has a pronunciation guides for some characters on his website but there doesn't seem to be one for Thalia Grace.

• Nunya
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Taw-lee-ya or Thaw-lee-ya

• 4 weeks ago

The same way you prononce Talia Palmer, you should take a look

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.