Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 4 weeks ago

hamster desperately wants to get out of cage?

my robo hamster is desperately trying to escape her cage. it’s a 45 gallon tank, so instead of chewing on bars she’s scratching on the glass. i let her out and let her run around, and then i put her back and she still wanted out. so i took her out and let her run around and her back in and she walked around her cage for a little bit and tried to get out AGAIN. i don’t know what i’m doing wrong:(it might be she has no wheel, which im in the process of ordering since i’m doing a specific kind. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Its not that she wants out per say, she wants things to climb over, under or on.  Provide a wheel in the tank and a few other interesting things for her to play on and she may stop scratching on the glass.

• 4 weeks ago

Try to get her a wheel, and maybe try to find toys to keep her interested. She might just be bored? Maybe try giving her cardboard boxes, toilet paper rolls, etc. She can rip them up and use them to hide in. Plus they're easy to clean up, once you go to clean the cage and replace the bedding you can just throw them away.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

She NEEDS a wheel. roborovskis require a 6.5" -8" solid wheel ( no mesh or barred ones). They are one of the most active hamster species, running 11+ miles every night.

She is showing signs of stress, which is caused by her enclosure being too small for her to do so. When you get your wheel you may find that stops because she can get her energy out, but if it continues you'll want to upgrade her tank (ideally to a 60 gallon one).

She should be allowed to freedom for at least 2 hours a night in order to prevent such stress from occuring, it may also tire her out enough so that you do not need to upgrade her enclosure.

• 4 weeks ago

A wheel will definitely help. Might solve the issue completely. In the meantime make sure she gets plenty of floor time.

Toss the salt lick. Hamsters get all the salt they need from their food and excess salt is unhealthy.

Does she only have 1 toy? She needs more than that.

Change up the cage layout and toys when you clean her cage to keep things interesting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

A tank with bars ???

Might be a tad small and lacking amenities and enrichment's.

Yea, they really need a running wheel. Chew toys, hidy huts, even a sand bath plus their feeding station.

• 4 weeks ago

Does she have enough bedding to burrow? Some hamsters like a ton of bedding

• 4 weeks ago

Do not keep your hamster in a tank. A tank doesnt have enough ventilation and they can get very sick. Please buy a cage.

• Nathan
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

Tanks are much better then cages, they provide more then enough ventilation - unless you're silly and use a solid lid instead of a mesh one of none at all. Cages don't provide the minimum 6-8" burrowing room they need, and often don't meet the minimum requirement of 80x50cm (450 square inches)

• 4 weeks ago

Does she have any other toys ? Also the wheel will help once ordered

• Nathan
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

And instead of proving tons of height, it provides tons of floor space. Please make sure she has at least 6" of a safe bedding, it must be non scented and hemp, aspen, paper or soil based

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.