Tippy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is it rude or offensive to say “you flew here, I grew here” to someone from someplace else?

That happened to me today at work, I yelled at and shamed a co-worker for making a minor mistake (a petty one but I was just stressed and not at my best mood) and he responds to me by saying “you flew here, I grew here” although he’s right I’m originally from nowhere near where I live and work now but was he by any chance is it safe to say he was trying to put me back in my place or offend me by any means?

• Rico

You instigated the response by responding to his error in the way you did.

Be glad that was all that happened because had that been me you tried to shame (especially for something trivial) you really would be sorry you even thought about it!

yes, its rude but its also rude for you to yell at them like that ,you owe them an apology big time

That depends on what you said. It could mean a territorial that shows he knows more about the area. Remember, You shamed that person. Something needed to be said to remove what was placed in words to edify the shame that you relayed in a petty way. "Petty" Sticks out like a sore thumb. The remark may have been made to express the pettiness of the shaming. You shame me in a chicken sh*t way in front of others who also think that it was unneccersary and you will reap the whirlwind back from me with the same crappy mood that you just placed me in. Its about "RESPECT". Use it or lose it. Right now it isn't important to know what was meant by that reply. Ever heard of cause and effect? Make it right and gain back your respect and show respect to that other person by apologizing to the coworker.

What he responded with is irrelevant; you attacked him. Are you familiar with "hostile work environment" and "intentional infliction of emotional distress?" If not, I suggest you familiarize yourself with them as soon as possible. You deserve a written warning and probation. Hopefully your management recognizes your immaturity and inability to control your emotions and deals with it accordingly.

• John P

He was just giving as good as he got. Indeed it is tempting to yell at someone when you are stressed, but don't be surprised if you get insulted in return.

While where you are from does not relate to job performance, berating a peer because you were stressed is almost unforgivable. And the native probably thought he had an advantage being on home turf. Listen to your better angles and apologize for blowing up to your co-worker, and ask him to advise you when you are straying from local tradition.

It is possible your co-worker responded in this manner as a reaction to your behavior towards him. By your own admittance you were not in a good mood and feeling stressed, so you may have caught your colleague off guard and so he immediately went on the defensive through his comment.

yes, it was rude. and not an effective insult. So you weren't born there? so what? stupid is still stupid! He should have found another comment about YOUR rude behavior. You owe him an apology...

When you "yelled at and shamed" your co-worker, you fired the opening shot in a war of words.

In my opinion, his response was pretty mild in comparison. Try to let this incident go, and in the future try not to make excuses for your episodes of ungoverned temper.