what foods should I eat to bring my blood sugar level down?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

There is no food that actually lowers blood sugar levels.  Basically, the goal is to eat foods that won't make sugar levels go high to begin with so that the body can handle the sugar that is there.  

Anything that has carbohydrates can raise blood sugar levels and most foods have at least some carbohydrates. The trick is learning the good vs the bad choices for carbohydrates.Avoid anything that has added sugar.  (so, no cakes, cookies, or processed foods that add sugar as part of the ingredients.)  Avoid drinking anything that has carbohydrates.  Your drinks should be 0 calorie and completely free of all carbohydrates.  Things you drink can cause some of the highest sugar spikes.Limit the amount of fruit per day.  Fruit is high in natural sugar and will cause sugar spikes.  Eating fruit that is also high in fiber can slightly reduce those spikes.  Know what a serving size should be and don't eat more than two servings per day.Vegetables have carbohydrates but many vegetables are very, very low in carbohydrates.  Read labels on packaged (frozen or canned) vegetables or look up carbohydrate levels in a google search to find the carbohydrates for each vegetable.  A quick list of "bad" ones would include potatoes, corn, and peas and some of the "good" ones include leafy greens (salads), green beans, carrots, and cauliflower.Breads and pastas also have carbohydrates.  Eating whole grain breads and pastas are better than eating white breads and pasta.  The whole grains digest slower and don't cause as high of a sugar spike.Most meats have no carbohydrates unless they have been processed in some way.  So meat from the butchers counter will not raise sugar levels.  But, meats that have been processed into cold cuts or in some way breaded or coated in sauce could have carbohydrates.  Read labels.Dairy products have lactose which is actually another form of sugar, so milk actually has carbohydrates and could raise sugar levels.  Read labels and watch serving sizes for all dairy products.Talk to your doctor or a dietitian about your daily carbohydrate intake goals.  A dietitian can help you determine your daily needs so that you are eating a better balance of what your body may be able to process without high spikes in your sugar levels.If you have done everything you can to change your diet and increase your activity and you are still struggling with high sugar levels, then you need to consult with your doctor about treatment options.  In many cases, diet changes alone are not enough to manage diabetes and taking medication in addition to diet changes may be required to maintain healthy sugar levels.

• John3 weeks agoReport

Thank you VERY Much for your VERY INFORMATIVE ANSWER to my Question. THANKS again :) 

• 2 weeks ago

Lower carbs and starches and get more exercise.

• 4 weeks ago

i would ask your doctor this question

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Almost anything you want.

Except: Cool tasting stuff, Whipped Cream, Cookies, Candy, Brownies, Cake, Pie, Anything you might Like.

You should get a book on Diabetes, and consult a Licensed Dietitian and your Primary Care Physician...

AVOID anything labeled for "diabetic", and especially "Sugar Free", the substitute chemical may be dangerous in long time use, and often cause Diarrhea which could be deadly (they never mention that).

Else, just try things, and take note of Meter Readings two hours after eating it.

Source(s): Experience (50 years)
    • John3 weeks agoReport

Thank You, I'll do that. :) 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Poop works well for me

• 4 weeks ago

Low carb!  There are no foods that will lower blood sugar, only foods that won't raise it. 

Also, just like weight loss, blood sugar control works best with both diet and exercise.  Both work together better than either does itself.  'Exercise' doesn't mean sweating at the gym, it could be as simple as long walks 3 or 4 times a week, or riding a bicycle.

• John3 weeks agoReport

Thank You, I do NEED to get more exercise, :) 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.