Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

I have my first mammogram coming up, what will it be like?

Best Answer

It really isn't a big deal at all.  You'll wear a hospital type gown.  You'll stand in front of an imaging machine.  Each breast will be placed on the shelf or plate and then another plat will compress your breast so a good image can be made.  You hold your breath for 4 seconds and it is done.  They usually take 2 images of each breast.  It can take a little time to get you positioned correctly.  

Then you get dressed and go on your way.  Your doctor will call or send you the results in about a week.  

It will be painful and cancer causing. Don't do that.

• audrey

Its not bad. Just a couple of minutes of pressure. No pain. Whole thing probably doesn't take 5 minutes. You have a private changing room and all you have to take off is your top. They give you a robe. Only person who sees you is the nurse taking the x-ray. Good luck.

• LAN

A little uncomfortable but well worth doing as a precaution.

I was so scared when I had my first one. Honestly, it was not that bad at all. I have fibromyalgia which causes my nerves to be overactive so any pain can often feel intensified due to fibro. So I was really worried the discomfort from the mammogram was going to be a lot worse for me. It really wasn't. I'm really short though and the machine went as low as I could yet I still had to get on my tiptoes at times so all of the breast tissue could get into the machine. That was frustrating and hard to do at times. But, really it was not as bad as I expected it to be. I also reminded myself to be thankful for mammograms. So don't let any friends or family scared you with their stories.

• carrie

You stand beside a mammogram machine , then you place your breast on a metal plate and another metal plate will squash your breast a bit  flat, it will take a photo of the tissue, They will post the results to you. 

One minute of discomfort. My aggressive breast cancer was tiny when it showed up on a mammogram compared with the previous one.

• Tavy

Simple. Raise your arms a bar goes close to your ribs , photo, end of.