james asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

So how rare is this health issue .?

My mom is stressing about the dog disease that’s Capnocytophaga which results when a pup or dog licks a open wound and you get a rare but severely deadly bacteria that causes sepsis and usually leaves you limbless ,

Well long story short my dog had always licked us he licked my cut by mistake so she’s freaking out telling me to go get checked she doesn’t even touch my dog anymore from her hypocondriac mind state , 

She stated that the last individuals that were affected had perfectly healthy immune systems should I be concerned ? 

Its a very rare occourance.

And for it to leave you limbless... Thats even more rare.

Think about how many people have their dogs lick open wounds because they believe it will heal faster... We'd be hearing of this disease more often if it was that common

• Maxi

Capnocytophaga is a bacteria commonly found in the mouths of dogs, cats and even humans, and is considered “normal oral flora,” ............. just wash your 'cut' put some antisepic cream on it and if it starts getting red, swelling see your doctor ( as you would normally regardless of if the dog licked you or not) Your mother is stressing over nothing