Motorized bicycle without license?

I live in British Columbia Canada and I've been debating on getting a engine kit for my bicycle. I have heard from people that any engine 50cc or below, is legal to ride without a license. I'm curious if this is true?

I don't know BC's laws on that. I live in California and i ride a bike with a Dillinger 350 watt ebike kit, love it!

Eight provinces of Canada allow electric power assisted bicycles. In all eight provinces, e-bikes are limited to 500 W output, and cannot travel faster than 32 km/h (20 mph) on motor power alone on level ground. Otherwise they must be licensed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_law...

Source(s): Wikipedia. Learn to use it. Rocket Science it's not.
  • Dimo

Google: British Columbia Canada Vehicle Code

First hit: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/st...

Definitions:

"motor assisted cycle" means a device

(a) to which pedals or hand cranks are attached that will allow for the cycle to be propelled by human power,

(b) on which a person may ride,

(c) to which is attached a motor of a prescribed type that has an output not exceeding the prescribed output, and

(d) that meets the other criteria prescribed under section 182.1 (3);

"motor vehicle" means a vehicle, not run on rails, that is designed to be self-propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but does not include mobile equipment or a motor assisted cycle;

---- etc.----

That's a free start, you will have to finish your homework yourself.

If you want to have fun in life, learn to read the law.

The law is not about what is allowed. Law is about what is prohibited.

Anything is legal, if there isn't a law against it.

• Ron

If you were that curious you would find the relevant website related to those particular rules and regulations