What do I say to someone who just lost their best friend in a car accident?

I’m not good at comforting and don’t want to say the wrong things. He says he feels lost and that he needs someone to be there right now and that he has no one. This guy and I are still kinda strangers to each other I’m a girl btw, we’ve been kinda talking here and there. We like each other, but haven’t really gotten to know each other that well. He’s reaching out to me and I don’t know what to say. He’s also been depressed due to a breakup. I just don’t know what to say

• Alan H

Just be there.. cry along with them

• Mikey

Being there doesn't mean you have to talk.  Especially if you don't know what to say.

• Brian

Sometimes you don't need to say anything, just be there and let him vent. Perhaps offer to go out for a soda or coffee or something so he's not sitting at home dwelling on things.

"He says he feels lost and that he needs someone to be there right now and that he has no one" - this guy sounds like he might be gay.