i have a ryzen 2700x and an rx590 what can i upgrade to from these specs on my gaming computer? 4k gaming. Im new to gaming computers.?

The Ryzen 7 2700x is fine for gaming at 4k but you'd need to upgrade the GPU. Any affordable 4k display can only produce 60fps at the most which makes the 2700x as good as any other CPU at 4k. Other processors like the Ryzen 9 3900x and i9-9900k start to pull ahead of the Ryzen 7 2700x when the framerate is at or above 100fps. And it's not like these processors are leagues ahead of the 2700x which doesn't make a CPU upgrade a good value.

My brother and my son both game at 4k and they both have systems with a +8 core CPU. My brother uses a GTX 1080 and for the most part that card works for him but he has a few complaints. He would like to upgrade the GPU but he doesn't really like the value the RTX 2080 Super or even the 2070 Super brings to the table.

My son has been gaming at 4k for a few years. A couple years ago he upgraded to the GTX 1080ti when it came out and he's been very happy with that card.

Now I'm not suggesting an old 10-Series card but what I am suggesting is to consider newer equivalents (unless you're okay with buying a card off the 2nd hand market).

The RX 5700 and RTX 2060 Super are only slightly faster than a GTX 1080. These cards can run games at 4k but youd have to adjust the settings.

The card I would suggest considering for 4k is the RTX 2070 Super. The 2070 Super can do 4k and it will give you a little more flexibility with the settings. The RTX 2070 Super is on the same performance level as the old GTX 1080ti. The RTX 2080 is only slightly faster than the 2070 Super and it's not a good value unless you can get one for a steal of a price. The RTX 2080 Super is also a nice card but it's not a whole lot faster than the 2070 Super either which doesn't make it a very good value.

The RTX 2080ti might sound like a grand card for 4k but it can't push 60fps in all games...... so there isn't much point in paying the high price for this card.

I personally have the Radeon VII and this card has all but been discontinued. Much like the AMD RDNA cards like the RX 5700 series, AMD is still ironing out driver issues with these cards. The drivers on the old Polaris cards work pretty well but AMD has had over 3 years to work out the drivers with these cards. You can look at the RX 5700 xt if you want to, and it is a good value, but you might have to work with some of the growing pains these drivers are having.

• P

For 4k you would upgrade the video card to at least an Radeon RX 5700, Radeon VII or a NVIDIA RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 and buy a 4k monitor.   Otherwise I do strongly suggest 2k (1440p) gaming since much of the detail for 4k is lost on monitors smaller than 30 inches (Your eye can't physically see it) and you will be able to get a much higher frame\refresh rate.   4k is better suited for large tv's.

You are obviously blissfully free of the ravages of electronics knowledge.

What you can, or cannot, upgrade a computer to all depends on your motherboard. An affordable motherboard will only work with one or two types of CPU, only allow limited memory, and have limited slots for daughter cards. Where as a nice gaming mobo will take nearly any CPU in that generation, allows multiple video cards, with lots and lots of slots for memory and additional hard drives.

Your question - is like wanting new tires but all you told us is the engine size and how big the gas tank is. Without knowing the make and model of your motherboard nobody can really help you. That you do not know this - means upgrading the computer is well beyond your skill level. CPU's are not 'plug and play' - you need to upgrade BIOS and drivers...… and when those do not work, you have to know how to get the old CPU back in and revert back to the old BIOS.

• m8xpayne
      4 weeks agoReport

He told you everything by mentioning that he wants to game at 2160p