Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Having dinner with fellow theists and having dinner with atheists is very different insofar as with atheists we cannot develop the?

conversation into deeper discussion. With atheists we must always skim the surface of subjects such as death, meaning of life, love, responsibility, etc. "Nice weather" gets a bit boring after a while when we feel an urge to talk about the 'Elephant in the room' that atheists try to ignore. The elephant being that their lives are ultimately meaningless. Totally pointless existence, and we can't talk about it, we just talk about meaningless stuff.

Atheists...wont you take a dip in the deep end for a change ??? LOOOOLLL

Best Answer

Try this at your next discussion:

ATHEIST

Hardened hearts and man’s responsibility:

Among those who REFUSE to hear, REFUSE to obey and harden themselves when GOD gives the opportunity to be broken and obedient, Pharaoh is an outstanding example as well as Israel. Dt. 29:4; Matt. 13:14-16 and Isaiah 6:9-10

Mat 13:14 With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says: 'You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive.

Mat 13:15 For this people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are heavy of hearing, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should perceive with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and turn for me to heal them.'

A very tired and well known preacher got on a plane thinking he could rest on the flight. A man sat down beside him saying, “You’re that well known right wing preacher aren’t you. Well, I am going to tell you I’m an atheist and think you Christians are just a bunch of escapists.”

The preacher thought, Oh no. It’s going to be a long journey. So he let the atheist have it with both barrels.

The Bible is a book of escapism. People who believe and read the Bible can escape sickness and disease because God says I am the Lord Your God that heals all your sicknesses and diseases. Psalm 103:3 and Isaiah 53:5. We can escape death because God says he that believeth in me shall never die. John 11:25 John 10:10 . We can escape loneliness because the Bible says He will never leave us nor forsake us. Heb. 13:5 Proverbs 18:24. We can escape depression. The joy of the Lord is our strength. Nehemiah 8:10 Philippians 4:4. Escape fear He has said many times “Fear not. Be not afraid. 2 Timothy 1:7 Matthew 14:27 I Corinthians 15:55-57. Escape poverty. The Lord gives us power to get wealth. Deut. 8:18 Malachi 3:10 He says to “try Me. The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want. Escape addictions. Alcohol, drugs etc. Romans 10:13 John 8:36 Whom the Son sets free is free indeed. Escape hell. It exists whether anyone believes it or not. The existence of heaven and hell is not dependent on anyone believing in their existence.

The atheist did not reply. The rest of the journey was very quiet.

The well known pastor spoke out those verses. I just put where they are in the Bible in order to keep this as short as possible

I disagree that atheists are unable to have deep conversations, especially on an existential level. I actually believe the opposite. Believing that we were created by a supremely powerful being that loves us infinitely and unconditionally is actually very superficial and shallow, as there is absolutely zero evidence to prove that it's true. Alas, I will not be getting into that aspect of your question. The fact is, atheists are intellectually superior enough to see through the web of lies they've been fed, unlike you. They see past the threat of hellfire and acknowledge that religion is just a tool and societal construct to keep people from killing each other and from killing themselves, as it gives them a sense of purpose. Atheists have VERY deep conversations on the origins of existence, the meaning of life (there IS meaning here, whether or not you are capable of seeing it- think about it), and our existence as a whole, while religious folk are... limited in many ways and tend to only focus on professing how the religion they were indoctrinated into is true, when in reality, a simple examination of the church and the history, beliefs and structure of it will disprove it.

I wonder what you were doing during the eight meaningless and irresponsible years I spent in Africa helping peasant farmers increase their crop yields? I was so irresponsible that I twice contracted malaria. I guess that proves your point, doesn't it?

Many who claim to be atheists became an atheist because they experienced a tragedy such as the death of a love one. During this moment of grief they were told that God wanted another angel or God wanted their love ones with him. This painted God as being cruel.

The true of the matter is those statement about Gods are false. God has made provisions to undo the bad that was cause by the first human couple and the devil. Here are some of the scriptures that had help many atheists restore their faith in a God.

New World Translation

Job 34:10

10So listen to me, you men of understanding: It is unthinkable for the true God to act wickedly, For the Almighty to do wrong!

Revelation 21:3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.

For more information about the hope for our dead love one go to WWW.JW.ORG.

• Judee
      4 weeks agoReport

Avoid J.W.s as much as you'd try to avoid the plague but pray for them for they are lovely and very sincere people. Sadly, they are sincerely wrong and being misled by their organization.

• Grace

Hope you have a really nice dinner and my preference for company too is believers...

• Git

How I wish more Christians are like you - skimming or avoiding discussing about beliefs.

My experience were usually Christians wanting to raise their beliefs to others - Hindus, Buddhists, Taoist, and even to Muslims. Yet, when you questions some less positive aspect of their beliefs, which by the way can be found in their bible, they become defensive or dismissive of what was written.

Yes, I do avoid raising or discussing such issue with my Christian friends, but only because I value our friendship and do not want to hurt their feelings.

I don't know what you're so upset about it's well known that Jesus Christ himself was an atheist.

You know the wrong atheists then.

• antonius
      4 weeks agoReport

Mark, wrong to you is when anyone does not agree with your ignorant belief system, that has been debunked many times.

Nice rant... But you failed to ask a question.

• barty

What a blatant lie. Why do you constantly feel the need to spread malicious lies about atheists? What personal defect leads you to build yourself up that way? Or does your religion teach you to put others down every chance you get?

It's really sad when the only way you can feel good is by putting others down. You might want to take a good look at yourself and see if you can make some changes.

On a side note, I was once in an email group where a new member chided the original group for not having enough deep, intellectual discussions. She was always saying "you need to get into the deep end." A week or so later, a very involved intellectual discussion developed, with numerous long, thoughtful posts from many members. Guess who didn't participate at all. I have a feeling that you, too, would run and hide if an actual deep discussion ever started around you.

Oh look, Heinekin is feeling miserable again today and needs to bring us down to her level.

It never has worked and it never will.

Proceed with your meaningless existence, you ignorant troll.

Source(s): We know you've never met an athiest IRL much less had dinner with one