What are the chances of recovering pictures from hard drive of a 12-14 year old laptop? ?

I need the pictures! Don’t tell me I’ve carried this around since I was 14 only to not be able to recover the picture. Lol. 

• keerok

As long as the hard drive still works and the pictures weren't overwritten by new files then the chance of recovering all that porn would be easy as pie. Use Recuva. Oh, did I just say porn? Hahaha!

• Lv 7

don't know till you try.

If you can boot up the laptop, boot it up and copy the pictures off the laptop and on to a USB memory stick. Move the USB memory stick to your current laptop or computer. Copy the pictures to there.

If you can not boot the laptop, you may have to remove the hard drive from the laptop. then get one of the special cables (or enclosures) designed to allow you to attach the hard drive to a USB port on your new laptop or computer. You will be able to access it just like you would a USB memory stick and copy the pictures off of the drive.

Hi. Well, You didn't have to carry the whole laptop for 14 years, just the harddrive. But We had no idea that would be the situation way back then.

So, EASIEST way to attempt to copy the files from it is to download a bootable linux OS that ca burn to either CD or USB flashdrive, & create the disc / drive.

When it boots it'll be able to "mount" the internal harddrive to access the files, which You can then copy to the flashdrive or another USB harddrive if You have one.

I suggest Puppy linux, a laptop that old would be best run under Racy Puppy booting from a CDR.

G'Luck!!!

• P

It entirely depends on why the laptop doesn't work, if the pictures were there before it stopped working, and what was done to the laptop to try to fix it.    Unless specifically the hard drive crashed or was formatted it's usually very easy to recover data for an old laptop. 

• Assuming that the laptop is totally unusable, take the hard disk out (it's usually in a compartment held down with two screws.  Once you can tell what kind of connector it takes, get a cheap USB cradle from eBay (you're only likely to use it once) and connect the disk to the USB port of a computer that works.  If any of the drive is recoverable, you should be able to search and copy from it.

take it to a computer store, they got pictures out for me when i had a dead laptop, if they can do that they can take yours out