jay asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 4 weeks ago

Should I take a pregnancy test after a possible miscarriage ?

I started to bleed a week before my period

(2 days ago) and then the 2nd day of bleeding something came out that looked like a blood clot but I looked it up on internet for early stage fetus miscarriage and it looks very similar to what came out of me. It says it’s not necessary to go to the doctors if it’s early stage but should I take a pregnancy test just to make sure everything came out and nothing is left in me? 

Some of these answers are incorrect. I had what you describe. It could be an early period or a spontaneous abortion (meaning your body rejected the embryo). A fetus is an unborn baby beginning at the 12-week mark. Losses of those are called miscarriages. Stillbirths are babies born dead but if born alive, probably could have survived. With the spontaneous abortion, I bled a lot. Much more with the miscarriages. It will probably not tell you much to have a pregnancy test. Through blood and urine, pregnancy tests detect hCG levels (human chorionic gonadotropin). I had a miscarriage and my doctor did a pregnancy test a few days later. The hCG levels were still high so he thought I might have been carrying twins. I wasn't. The test may show higher levels of hCG and you would have to interpret that. It could mean you were pregnant, but I doubt you will know for sure. You do not need a D & C if you were in early pregnancy. There isn't much of anything to clean out. Ask your OB/GYN if you aren't sure.

If you want to, sure. If it was a miscarriage, the test would most likely still be positive. It won't tell you if a miscarriage was complete though.

And you don't describe a miscarriage. You describe a normal period, even if it differs from the other periods you've had.

• Edna

You didn't have a miscarriage. You were having a period (the fact that it began one week early is immaterial), and what you saw WAS a blood clot, which are very common with periods.

That early in pregnancy, you couldn't possibly pass anything that even remotely resembles a fetus. A fetus that was passed that early WOULD resemble nothing more than a blood clot.

If you had been pregnant and passed a fetus, a pregnancy test now couldn't possibly indicate that you HAD ever been pregnant or if there is anything "left inside you".

• Byrd

How on earth do you think a pregnancy test will tell you that??

• Juana

You can if you want, no harm done. Blood clots are extremely common during menstruation though.

A pregnancy test checks for hormones, It likely you would get a positive just cause you still have those hormones in your systems

If you had conceived it takes 2 weeks from ovulation for egg to get to the womb so a week before period is due would be too early for any egg to have implanted in your womb so it just sounds like a weird period that we all get at some time.

• Eva

A pregnancy test will not tell you that conclusively. The test is based on hormone levels and if you miscarried your hormone levels will be dropping so the test wouldn't be accurate. In order to make sure all the tissue had been expelled, you would need a doctor's visit and possible ultrasound and/or a D&C.