Employment Question: IS IT LEGAL TO GHOST AN EMPLOYEE AFTER THAT SAID EMPLOYEE HAD JUST FILLED OUT PAPERWORKS THAT SAYS HE OR SHE IS HIRED?

So, I got hired at this new restaurant. It’s been 3 weeks since I filled out the packets that says I’m hired. They have all my paperwork, my information, everything. 

They keep delaying me saying your training will be next week, then the next, then the next. Please tell me they are violating some code or something. It’s in California. Anyone?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Ghosting is when they just stop replying and completely ignore you. Telling you that it will be next week is not ghosting.

• 4 weeks ago

Not illegal at all. They never, ever have an obligation to hire you.

• 4 weeks ago

i would ask the labor board about it

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No way is it illegal. Perhaps they don't need you yet, perhaps they have changed their mind. Why don't you go and see them?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Sounds like you got fired, now deal

• 4 weeks ago

If you have a written employment contract you might have good cause to sue. But I am guessing you don't and thus despite the promise to possibly start soon, the employer is under no legal obligation to do so, if ever and further more can fire you at any time too because California is a "right to work" state. Sorry.

You also retain the opportunity to find another job instead.

• 4 weeks ago

Restaurant employees are not a protected class. It's in the constitution.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What does the paperwork say about a start date or guaranteed hours?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.