Anonymous

New tech dealing with condescending pharmacist? ?

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent grad with a bachelor's in chem and a 2nd major. I currently work as a pharm tech to gain a lot of exposure and knowledge before starting pharmacy school next year. 

I've only been working as a tech for 2 months now and I believe I am dealing with a condescending staff pharmacist. Whenever I ask her a question, she comes off as annoyed. I've never went to tech school so a lot of these things are completely new to me. I'm even teaching myself the sig codes.

The other day, I was typing up prescriptions and I was converting tsp to mL. All I did was ask her "can you remind me how many mL are in a tsp so I can do the dimensional analysis?" 

She responds by saying "how do you not know that? That's the first thing they teach you in tech school. Did you even go to tech school?" I tell her I never went to tech school. Then she says under her breath  "how did you get this job if you've never gone to tech school?" Then she asks the other tech if they taught her sig codes and conversions just to embarrass me I guess. Then she finally tells me that there are 5 mL in a tsp. She went off on a tangent in front of the other tech AND the patient waiting up front. How embarrassing and degrading...... 

I told the sr tech and she said the pharmacist was out of line and unprofessional and that I should report that to the store and pharmacy manager. 

Do any of you have any recommendations for situations like this? Ty very very much. 

fresher has to face this problem in every field.

older guys who came up from lower jobs and attained the current status,

are envious of freshly qualified ones who have walked-in into the job.

try to humour her,as you are the one who is need.

as they say every dog has her day.

Are you a tech in training? Or do you have your tech license already?

Even if you are already a full technician, it was still kind of snotty of her to say that.

She should have just told you 1 tsp = 5 mLs and left it at that.

But there is a test you have to pass to be a tech, and you have to know that.

lol, troll. Try again. "I have never GONE to tech school so MANY of these things..."

Source(s): I iz collage edjerkated 2

Report her to the manager. If there is a pharmacist higher up, reports her to that pharmacist. Yes, she was unprofessional.

• John

You have actually learned an important lesson, which you should keep in mind for future years. In the workplace, many people act like jackasses. You need to take note of that kind of behavior and attitude, so you can better avoid becoming such a person.

You may to report this incident if you feel the pharmacist was unprofessional in front of a customer.  What you have to accept is that the pharmacist is NOT there to train you or mentor you.  You are there to make her job easier.  While I totally understand that in 4 years you could be have a Pharm D and be a pharmacists yourself, the reality is that you got your current job due to your academics rather than having the training for the job.  That isn't your fault, but the fault of the person who hired you.  You need to leave the pharmacist alone and ask the other techs for help.  I'm sure you will catch on quickly and will have fewer questions as time goes by.

On other thing to keep in mind now and throughout your career.  On any give day in any situation a person may be stressed.  People how are stressed tend to be less gracious and can be down right nasty.  Consider letting this pass or talking with the pharmacist privately.  She might apologize.  Also, remember how you felt when you are frustrated with a tech 10 years form now.

its very frustrating when you are busy to have to teach the basics to someone who should have those as their basic skill set (like tsps to mls more than once). Get yourself a pocket note book and take notes to refer to them, ask other techs the basics of what they need to know and write them down, ask the lead for a list even. The pharmacist's job is not to teach you how to be a tech (and its more commonly called a conversion not a dimensional analysis, conversion tables are all over the place, but it sounds stilted). your training should be from the lead tech not the pharmacist.

Welcome to the real world. Unlike teachers in school, supervisors on a job are not required to be nice to you, or even to be "fair". Be aware that every time you ask a question, you're taking her time from doing her job. It's easy enough to look up on your phone things like how many mL are in a tsp. Use some initiative in finding out the answers to your questions, rather than expecting her to teach you all the tech stuff. Remember that you're the one who is going to be looking for jobs in the future, and you will need recommendations from previous supervisors. So try to be respectful to her.

1. Next time you have a basic question like this, as another Pharm tech instead of the pharmacist.

2. Realize her frustration at having to babysit someone in a job that requires specific knowledge that you do not possess, despite your other degrees.

3. Perhaps admit at least to yourself that maybe you are in over your head. Either get up to speed as soon as you can or find another job.

• The OP cant be in over their head if they literally said they're teaching themselves the tasks and what not? Don't you think?

• Lv 7

That is tough! Sounds like they are bitter and unprofessional. That is definitely not typical behavior of a mentor. Perhaps you can Google questions like that in the future to avoid some conflict? The senior tech's advice of reporting it could go a few directions. It may make things worse because you would have to deal with documenting what has been happening and causing an even bigger rift between you and the staff pharmacist. On the other hand, it could open up a conversation and help end the nasty comments to you. It is your decision to make. Personally I would not say anything because there will always be bitter, angry people in your career that you have to face. So I would just suck it up and get through it.