Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutFast Food · 1 month ago

Do you have to have a high school diploma to work at McDonald's?

Hi there everybody. My cousins husband wants to work at McDonald's but he has no high school diploma. He is in his 50s. He doesn't do drugs. He wants an $8 an hour job. Will McDonald's hire him even though he has no diploma? I can't hire him at my work because it's run by the state and is commission pay only. Thank you for your time.

Best Answer

They would only hire him as the token disabled person, provided that they don't already have one. Every McDonald's has to hire one and they typically clean the tables in the dining room and clean the restrooms. They only need one to get the tax break

• Brad
      1 month agoReport

He would jump at the chance at that. Especially if he could walk to work everyday.  He was supposed to be getting his ged but he didn't have some form notarized that they needed. Thank you for your help. Have a great weekend.

Most places require a he's or diploma

• larry3 weeks agoReport

Looks like your dreams of fast food are gone

• D

god that is a sad life... sorry

mcdonalds hires anyone. mostly teens tho so....

Why on earth would someone want to work at Mcdonald's? Besides the weird choice of your husbands he may or may not have to. It would probably be best for him to not work at Mcdonald's and work at a different fast food place due to how low quality Mcdonald's can be. However, you don't need to have a High School diploma to work there.

yes, all the available titles or they wont accept you. better get studying,

• .

If he is a warm body and can work they will hire him

They don't care. They are going to hire you and train you how to do a few things, we call this on the job training. The first few days you may watch videos explaining the job. The first few days will be harder because you are new. A week goes by. You get faster, better and stop making mistakes. Then two weeks go by and they expect you to be able to do it no problem. If by the third week you have problems, they will say you will get extra training, but you are sort of in trouble. If you can't do it after 4-5 weeks, they will probably let you go or cut your hours to a few hours a week of mopping or pulling trash out of the building. If you can't do that, I don't know what you can do. The biggest deal for any low skill labor job is to learn your job. They more things you can do, the more hours you will get. The best way to lose the job is to show up late or miss a day. They hate when you call out.

I own a janitorial service. I have about 15 people working as "Assistant Janitor". You sweep, you dust mop, damp mop, vacuum, pull out trash, dust, clean restrooms and fill the toilet paper and paper towels. If the place has electric dryers, you just test them. Every day there is a report to fill out. Maybe a sink is dripping. Maybe a light is burned out. We do minor repairs. That is a "Head Janitor" job. He does a lot more. I have only 2 of those. I have about 60 "Janitors" which means you've made it 90 days or more. You work without help, sometimes you have an Assistant Janitor. Then there is Assistant Head Janitor. I have 9 right now. They float between 2-3 locations doing things like carpet cleaning, graffiti removal, etc. Most know how to use a window wash pole and can clean 3rd floor windows while standing on the ground.

Here in PA you have to pay $7.25 and even in the crappiest places you have to start them at $8.50. We are north of Philly. I start you at $8.50 or $8.75, but after 90 days, you are going to get at least $9.50, maybe even $10. $8 is really low pay for any job, for any place.

• larry3 weeks agoReport

he has a wife in high school? Troll much

• P

He just needs to get signed up with a temp agency.   The specific McDonalds he applied to may not have any immediate openings and the manager may not think he would be a good fit for a high paced environment like that compared to other options he has.  It has nothing to do with the diploma.  The urban legend that they will hire anyone at Mcdonalds is just false. 

I think he should give it a try, and there may be different policies between McDonald's stores because there are different owners. Fast food places are having a hard time finding people to work at minimum wage levels now.

• Brad
      1 month agoReport

Ok. Are the young kids hired there solely because they are currently in high school? He can walk there everyday too which will save him a ton of money. Thank you for your help.

Lots of young people work there who have not got their diploma yet

• Brad
      1 month agoReport

They do? Wonder if he can walk in and put in an application? I don't eat at McDonald's much so I don't know their rules and regulations.