james asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Dog licked my cut should I be worried ? ?

So my pet licked my cut by mistake it already has a scab on it but I’ve heard of the recent cases of individuals getting capynocytophaga from dog licks you either have to have. Very low compromised immune system to get infected but these last victims were both perfectly healthy should I be worried Im a healthy 25 year old male .

• Sky

While those infections you read about are possible, they're likely quite rare. In all my years of having dogs, any time I had a cut or something, one or both dogs would lick it extensively. I never once had any sort of infection as a result. It could be because I kept up on their dental hygiene so their mouths weren't full of infectious bacteria all the time, or because I had so much contact with the with kisses and licks and sharing food and such that my immune system was used to any bacteria they may have. Those cases of infection would require a bit more investigation. I read one of those articles a few weeks ago and it seemed to be nothing more than a scare article; there was no investigation or follow up to indicate what the actual cause of the infection was other than the dog licking a cut.

So no, I don't think you should be worried. Regardless of your dog licking it, just keep the cut clean and apply antibiotic ointment to it.

If you let the dog lick it, it will heal faster. Haven't you heard about animals going off to lick their wounds. You are perfectly fine. It is not going to get infected by your dog. If there is an infection it will be cause you didn't keep the wound clean.

I would just clean it with soap n water. I wouldn't think it to be an issue.

However I'm not a doctor, just another guy that has my dog lick my wounds and never had an issues.

I read, however I don't know if I believe it, that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans.