Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

My bf has moved away I don’t k of what to do.?

My partner of ten years decided a few months ago he wants to leave the UK and move abroad so he applied for some jobs and once he got one he said I’m leaving. I can’t go because I’m a mature student in my final year of uni. I really feel like he could of waited 7 months for me to finish and we go together. Anyway he’s gone now and he wants to do the long distance which we have been but I find it really difficult. We have been together such a long time not married, no kids and I’m 30 next year and was hooong to start a family which I have made him aware of. Once I’ve finished uni he wants me to go abroad to and work there for a year and then said let’s go back to the UK after and we can start a family and buy a house. I just feel really overwhelmed this all happened so quickly and I just don’t really know what to do about this situation. It could be that he never wants to come back and changes his mind and it’s a big risk and change to move my whole life abroad.

• Foofa

This is really more of a relationship question than one of immigration. But unless your degree is of the right kind you won't have the option to roam the EU without a work visa very soon. So it's probably best to consider this coupling over. Sorry, I know it hurts. But this guy has basically dumped you. Know what? He wasn't good enough for you anyway. You need a bottle of red and a few friends to binge watch 'The Crown' with. Get your girls around, have a makeover at Mac and celebrate your newfound freedom.

Move on and find someone new who has a little more loyalty

That's a pretty massive life decision to make without consulting you or taking your views into account.

There is no larger killer to wealth than having children, and there's no greater thread to life on Earth than having children as well.

Sounds to me like your boyfriend tried to escape a life of poverty, sleepless nights, and screaming babies. His story sounds just like that, a story. A man who is ready for marriage and fatherhood would not move out of the country.

You sound more committed to you than to the relationship. So life is not going as you planned or expected. No clue why your bf needed/wanted to find another job, but when one came up, he either took it then, or lost the opportunity. How much do you expect him to sacrifice when you need to attend to finishing up school? He's already said he hopes you find work abroad upon graduation, so he's not abandoning the relationship. Either you roll with the punches, or wimp out & whine about it. it's a done deal - he took the job offer. It's up to you to decide to accept the situation as it now stands, deal with it for the short term, or not.

Either get your butt in gear, making sure you earn excellent grades, finish school, and start looking for jobs for when you graduate, or give it up & feel sorry for yourself.

• myah4 weeks agoReport

I have to finish my degree, is giving up my degree and moving abroad because he wants to more committed to the relationship then? Relationships are a two way partnership where you discuss each other’s wants and needs and come to a joint decision. He wasn’t sacrificing anything :/

• Maxi

Reality is if your relationship was strong and he was happy in it he would have discussed and agreed this with you before he did anything........ he is not someone who was commited to the relationship otherwise you two would have married a long time ago...instead he chose to be the single guy, get on with his own life but for his own selfish reasons keep you hanging around in case things don't work out for him and/or he wants to return,,until he meets someone new where he is............ you are 30 years old, wasted 10 yrs of your life with him, he has done you a favour showing you he is not committed and doesn't think about you or your life.............. move on as he surely has

he's looking for fresh booty . you should too .

Yes, it's a risk. It's also an opportunity. My husband decided to take a job in another country, and we moved there. It opened up whole new opportunities for me, and really changed my life. You don't have children yet- do this now while it's fairly uncomplicated. However, you need to look into the ways that you can move to another country legally. That's especially complicated with BREXIT if you're talking about an EU country.

• myah1 month agoReport

Thank you. It’s not EU so wouldn’t be a problem :) just unsure if I want to live in that particular country

You only live once. Take a chance :)