What's the most important aspect for you to like any particular music, song track or w/e?

Update:

For me it's creativeness

Update 2:

not to sound bigoted, but i'm expecting most would think genre, again it's dangerous to make generalizations..

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

As pretentious as it sounds, creative vision is probably the most important thing to me.

There is a lot of music out there that is not particularly my thing, but I can understand why it is appreciated. I can respect why it is successful, why it is liked.

When a musical artist has a plan to bring something original into the world, I can definitely appreciate that... whether it's pop music or theatre soundtrack or obscure noise-art.

The most important aspect? I want musicians to "get" the idea of being creative, and participate in the artform.

Popular music is strewn with posers and models who do not really care about music as a medium of genuine expression. I don't want pretty people, I don't want gimmicks, and I definitely don't want pathetic copies of other artists, I want sonic creativity.

Any kind of music can be great. It's not about "genre". Pop, Metal, classical, country, electronica, reggae, whatever, it's about quality.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Excellent response. Multi degreed career classical musician and music theorist here. To quote Ellington - "If it sounds good - it IS good."

• 4 weeks ago

For me mainly, musical skill & the way different instruments (& vocals) work together or interleave with each other.

I like a range of music including heavy rock, blues rock, heavy metal, some techno etc., just about anything that has musical quality and originality in the writing / performance.

There is a lot of other music where I don't like the overall piece for some reason - lyrics, style or just the persons voice is annoying or whatever & it's not stuff I'd play by choice - but I can still appreciate the quality of the performance when I do hear it.

I don't get on with eg. thrash style where each musician is just making an endless noise; no matter how technically good each may be, if there is no overall teamwork and fitting together of the different parts, it's just a load of clockwork noise.

• 4 weeks ago

I don't think I can define any specific aspect. I like a variety of music, but not metal or opera.

• 4 weeks ago

To have a good beat, catchy lyrics, not too many mixed rythym's like ''Don't call me angel'' By Ariana Grande, that song is a perfect example of what I don't like. It sounds super messy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.