What's the most important aspect for you to like any particular music, song track or w/e?

For me it's creativeness

not to sound bigoted, but i'm expecting most would think genre, again it's dangerous to make generalizations..

Best Answer

As pretentious as it sounds, creative vision is probably the most important thing to me.

There is a lot of music out there that is not particularly my thing, but I can understand why it is appreciated. I can respect why it is successful, why it is liked.

When a musical artist has a plan to bring something original into the world, I can definitely appreciate that... whether it's pop music or theatre soundtrack or obscure noise-art.

The most important aspect? I want musicians to "get" the idea of being creative, and participate in the artform.

Popular music is strewn with posers and models who do not really care about music as a medium of genuine expression. I don't want pretty people, I don't want gimmicks, and I definitely don't want pathetic copies of other artists, I want sonic creativity.

Any kind of music can be great. It's not about "genre". Pop, Metal, classical, country, electronica, reggae, whatever, it's about quality.

• Mamianka
      4 weeks agoReport

Excellent response. Multi degreed career classical musician and music theorist here. To quote Ellington - "If it sounds good - it IS good."

For me mainly, musical skill & the way different instruments (& vocals) work together or interleave with each other.

I like a range of music including heavy rock, blues rock, heavy metal, some techno etc., just about anything that has musical quality and originality in the writing / performance.

There is a lot of other music where I don't like the overall piece for some reason - lyrics, style or just the persons voice is annoying or whatever & it's not stuff I'd play by choice - but I can still appreciate the quality of the performance when I do hear it.

I don't get on with eg. thrash style where each musician is just making an endless noise; no matter how technically good each may be, if there is no overall teamwork and fitting together of the different parts, it's just a load of clockwork noise.

I don't think I can define any specific aspect. I like a variety of music, but not metal or opera.

To have a good beat, catchy lyrics, not too many mixed rythym's like ''Don't call me angel'' By Ariana Grande, that song is a perfect example of what I don't like. It sounds super messy.