my pathology report is pending for 2 weeks.  does this mean it's bad news and they want to make sure I see my doctor for the bad news?

When I go to my patient portal for results it says the report is pending until Oct. 25.  I had my surgery Oct 10.   Does this usually mean the report is bad?  I've never had this happen before.  

Pathology samples are generally processed overnight following submission to the anatomical pathology lab, and interpreted by the pathologist the following day. While short delays may occur awaiting immunohistochemical stains and/or molecular analysis, notification is the responsibility of the treating physician, and determined at their discretion.

Source(s): Anatomic/Clinical Pathologist
    • lyln4 weeks agoReport

Thank you. Unfortunately, it was sent to a specialist in New York-Dr. Klimstra-for a second opinion. But, thank you for taking the time to help. :)

• LAN

No, it more than likely just means that the lab is a little backed up. It's a little stupid to ask this of us since no one here could possibly have a definitive answer. Sounds like you are just trying to invent drama.

In my experience, bad news travels faster than good.

Path can take time as its important. They may be running stains, cultures, etc, or it just may be backlogged getting into the portal. You could call your doc and ask.

It really depends on what they are testing. I had an infection in my foot and it took five days for them to determine what bacteria was causing it. That's how long the culture took to grow. Don't assume it means anything bad. It could just be that the lab is extremely busy.

• lyln4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for taking the time to help:)