Why do people think colonizing mars is the greatest idea we've had?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Elton Musk's plan to colonize Mars has crashed financially. It was a pipe dream. Earth 2 was not a resounding success. Musk has had several financial set backs. Tesla is no longer publicly owned. Musk had to pay a fine for that. Several Space X rockets have crashed and there has been at least one person killed.

Mars and the Moon very likely will be much like Antarctica has been for the last 70 years, scientific research stations. not rapidly growing communities.

What bothers me more is that some people seem to lack ANY curiosity about the Moon or Mars. Is a person with no curiosity still a human being?

• Clive
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

They don't. Why do you think they do?

• Braydon3 weeks agoReport

Terraforming mars or at least colonizing it is constantly mentioned in articles

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I am still of the opinion that to Colonize a Planet, that Planet has to be able to support life with out a constant sting of supply ships from Earth. Mars may have water, but it still has not been proved. Even if there was water there. The Atmosphere is a big problem.

The atmosphere of Mars has been losing mass to space throughout history, and the leakage of gases still continues today. The atmosphere of Mars is colder than Earth's. Owing to the larger distance from Sun, Mars receives less solar energy and has a lower effective temperature (about 210 K).

Average surface pressure: 610 Pa (0.088 psi)

Carbon dioxide: 94.9%

Carbon monoxide: 0.0747%

Nitrogen: 2.6%

• 4 weeks ago

They are uninformed, misled by the misinformation age, have no knowledge of history, and are so narrowly focused they have no idea that there are alternatives. It is probable they watch far too much StarTrek/Wars to be healthy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

It would be the most habitable of all the Planets

Fair enough there would be Challenges

But we can Face them with Enginuity and Intelligence

Even though with Politics in the World at the Moment there doesn't seem to be a lot of it about

The Biggset downfall of Mars really is its Mass which makes its Gravity substantialy weak

Therefore its Atmosphere Thin

So how can you add mass to Mars ?

It would make it volcanically active again and help it Gas up

It was once Wet so must have been more Massive in the past

Bombardment by Asteroids and Comets would help over time

And what about its two Moons. Phobos and Deimos

It is my own Theory but how about it ?

• 4 weeks ago

Only a few idiots with more money than brains thinks it would be a good idea.

• 4 weeks ago

It isn't the greatest idea we have had.

Smallpox vaccine was a great idea

Polio vaccine was a great idea

Computers was a great idea

The steam engine was a great idea

Mars colonization is many years away. it is a great idea but just one of many

• 4 weeks ago

Well, it's only "some."  I don't think a colony on Mars has much merit - at least, not yet - but, I could see us starting with brief exploration missions, followed by a small science outpost... Maybe after *that*... you can start talking 'colony'...

• Hal
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The idea like from Elon Musk we must be on more than 1 planet due to asteriod hazard, and Mars is close and above freezing and below broiling and without a crushing atmosphere.

There's a popular notion we could adapt to life on Mars.

But, it's not a well informed idea.

Mars doesn't have enough magnetic field to deflect ordinary serious radiation hazards such as cosmic rays for instance. This means that not only the severe radiation hazard during the trip to Mars would matter (damaging the brains of the travelers), but *also* after arriving on the surface of Mars there is still radiation hazard for any long term habitation, so that they would need to be underground....

"Between the loss of its magnetic field and its atmosphere, the surface of Mars is exposed to much higher levels of radiation than Earth. And in addition to regular exposure to cosmic rays and solar wind, it receives occasional lethal blasts that occur with strong solar flares." -- Phys.org, 11/2016

But if underground....then the obvious is that such underground colonization could be done instead far cheaper on our much closer moon.

• 4 weeks ago

"Why do people think colonizing mars is the greatest idea we've had?"

I don't know - I've never met anyone who thought that!

• 4 weeks ago

Some people are ignorant?

Based on our current technology, and any that we are likely to have for centuries, colonizing Mars is not really a great idea... it would be a lot of expense in resources with very little to show for it.

Just putting a biosphere on Mars and having a few people live there for a while, that would be extraordinarily expensive and difficult, and all that we would get in return for that expense is knowing that we could do that, for a while at least.

We already know that we could find a way for a few dozen people to live on Mars for a time... but it would not be worth actually doing.

I love the space program, and I want humans to continue reaching out into space in rational ways, but a Mars colony is not something that would be useful right now. A really big space station orbiting Earth, that should be our next step.

• Imagine living in a lava tube for the rest of your natural life. Does anyone deserve such punishment?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.