Darcie
Darcie asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

How can I get to a point where I can adopt a dog?

Hello,

I’m Autistic. I live in supported living, presumably in rented accommodation. The people that own my house probably won’t allow a dog and I’m not looking after myself as well as I could...

I’ve been a dog lover ever since I was very young. I wanted a dog throughout my childhood. My parents eventually bought a puppy (I would want to adopt a rescue dog now), but my mum isn’t a dog person and my dad said it wasn’t going to work out, so we called the breeder and he went to live with two other people instead.

I often feel quite desperate for a dog. I’m going to hopefully get a volunteering placement with a shelter soon... Any advice on how to cope and get ready to adopt a dog 🐕 of my own?

No meanness, please.

Thank you 😊.

If you are having a problem with caring for yourself, I don't think you could take care of a dog, too. It might be just too much for you to handle. Caring for a dog is a big responsibility, especially since you have never had a dog. You would need to learn a lot about dogs before you get one for yourself.

It is a big responsibility cause you will be that dogs everything. Depending on you for everything. Do you have money for Vet charges? Can you do all of the training? Do you know what kind of training your dog will need.

When you adopt an adult dog, you get the dog & all the baggage from previous home. It was thrown away for a reason.

• *****

When you are living fully independently, caring for yourself and your space consistently, have plenty of time and energy to spare such that you can take on the care of a dog without neglecting self-care, and are in a financial position that allows you to comfortably afford the animal's care (including vet bills), then you can consider one. If the extent of your disability is such that you will not reach that point, the only scenario in which it's responsible for you to have a dog is one in which you live with someone else fully willing to see to it that the dog is consistently cared for.

First you need to be able to look after yourself.

Next you need to find out if one would be allowed where you live.

If not, you need to work at being able to live independantly.

Then you need to learn about the work onvolved in caring for a dog.

Working at a shelter will give you a lot of training in how to care for a dog and is a great step.

• Maxi

At this point in time you are not in any position to have a dog, so the best you can aim for is to volunteer with a local rescue so you can spend some time with dogs as well as helping out in caring, walking, cleaning, grooming, feeding them