So I met with a company this week about a salary job positon. Informal meeting. It was just the first meeting so we didn t talk money..?

However they said the position offers a new vehicle, performance bonus and a "substantial salary". Because it was informal, I didn t want to ask. I am meeting with them next week, but in your opinion, what $ amount figure does "substantial salary" mean to you? I want to be prepared and not looked shocked/let down or overwhelmed/underwhelm. Thanks!

The job is in the USA, health care field and accepting clients that need respiratory help/ventilators/home care/medical equipment. Its more the business side of getting the patient client.

There are books that give guidance in how to negotiate salary. Read 1 or 2.

• n2mama

To me, substantial salary would be 6 figures (before the decimal point). That may be way above what would be reasonable for that position though. If it’s sales based you might make that, but not without a good hustle.

"Substantial salary" is subjective. Basically what this is a sales position, and I bet most of your "salary' will be based on commissions.

• Greg

There are way too many factors to consider than you provided: what you make now and what position you are in now, cost of living where you are now and will be, current salary trend in your field and local area, stability of the new company, what others are making, etc. Even when I followed a manager to a new company, Human Resources had to run their magic formulas. When I was a hiring manager, I dealt with the same things and had to fight with HR all the time.