Anonymous

My son wants to go as Black Panther for Halloween. We're white. Is there any problem with that? Is it racist or cultural appropriation?

We both loved the Black Panther movie but with everyone loving to be offended these days I didn't know if it would be a problem because it would be a white kid dressing up as a black character.

He's 7 years old.

Best Answer

OK, that's an interesting question, I can see why you asked that.

Ideally, personally, I would want any kid to be able to roleplay whoever they want. If a black kid wants to be Iron Man, or a white kid wants to be Black Panther, I think that should be fine. But, in reality, there's a chance some people will take issue with that. Depending on how it is done, it could be perceived as offensive. A white kid dressing up as Black Panther because he likes Black Panther, I don't think that would offend many people... but if that kid went blackface, tried to look like a black person, then that is offensive territory.

Here's the thing about "cultural appropriation"... white people are allowed to like Black Panther, and rap music. They are also allowed to like French cuisine, Chinese philosophy, and New Zealand rugby.

Everyone can and should enjoy all of the cultures in the world. There is no reason for that not to be the case.

At the same time, you have to respect and understand the context of those cultures, and how to appreciate them respectfully.

As I said, I am perfectly fine with a white kid playing as Black Panther. But, full disclosure, I am white.

Let us ask this question: Is it OK for a white person to play the part of a black person?

It was OK for Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder, nobody is beating him up over that...

I think you just have to approach that concept with respect foremost in your mind. It's a complex thing.

Ultimately, all I can say is that I don't think that should be a problem, but inevitably some people will have a problem with it. Personally I think there's something healthy and great about black people and white people, and people of any color contemplating and adopting the role and perspective of each other, out of affection for them.

just be like woah vicky

No problem with that. This is a free country and he can dress up as anything he wants. Please ignore the trolls that say otherwise. 

How old is he?

ADD: That's OK then isn't it? Look, don't make out we scream racism when there is no legitimate cause to do so, we call racism when we experience it and as victims of racism for the past 400 years no one knows more than us what it is and what it isn't.

That could be dangerous and is now considered racists.