I want to know if I can change the MOS I signed up for before I go to basic.?

I signed up for the army and have been to MEPS, signed my contract, and taken the first oath. I have 8 months left until my ship date and I really want to change the MOS I signed up for. The MOS I want might not be available though, so if it is not can I just not have an MOS until the job becomes available or do I just have to wait and see? 

The biggest issue is that they schedule your first training school for after boot camp, and that's why your shipping date is where it is. You change your job to a more critical need, you also change your ship date. One thing for sure, if you had a less manned job picked out and want to go for a currently overmanned job, it won't happen.

• AJ

What jeepers said is absolutely correct.

Now, you can't go to Basic training and then wait until there is an opening in the MOS you wanted. You would have to wait. However, a recruiter is not going to put you on indefinite wait list. Your only choices if the MOS you want now isn't available is chose a different one or cancel everything and start over in a year.

your ship date to basic is tied into the start date of your AIT.

A IT is scheduled first, then the back date when you need to go to basic.

• ?

By working with your recruiter, it's possible to switch MOS's. It all depends on the needs of the Army. If there is another MOS available, and the Army want's to switch you it can be done. However, if there isn't an open MOS training slot available, you can't go without a job reservation while waiting for your desired MOS to open up. You gave that up when you enlisted in the Army DEP.

Why not ask your recruiter? That'll be the easiest way.

Far as I know from what I've heard and seen after you sign that's that unless you have a medical reason to why you can no longer do that specific MOS. But ask your recruiter, surely you aren't the first that changed their mind about a mos they chose.