How much should I charge for babysitting?

First of I babysit my niece who’s 1 year old I get $140 every week for her which I don’t mind. But I take care of 3 other kids one is 4 the other kid is 6 and the older one is 11. But those kids are very rude and ver misbehaved. The older he’s a little more calm but he has his moments. He curses a lot he hits his siblings when they are bothering, idk what he sees at home but I caught him putting his hands around my nieces neck. When it comes to doing his hw he is lazy and wants me to do it. The 6 year old he’s the worst he cusses a lot he fights with my nieces and his siblings he hits me it takes me 3 hrs to get him to do his hw he is horrible. The little one is calm when her brothers aren’t around but when they come home from school she is just like the 6 year old. I spoke to the parents but they don’t do anything about it. Since day one I’ve been cooking for them and they eat a lot so I run out of food faster. Now the mom she started to bring them food but they either don’t wanna eat that or later they get hungry that I have to cook for them either way. They don’t like to share snacks with my nieces, after they ate my nieces snacks. They leave my house a mess I know they are kids but they destroy it, they broke blinds they draw on the walls. Stuff my 1 year old and 5 year old niece never do. But anyways the mom only paid me $150 in two weeks for all three of them. I’m really shy when it comes to speaking up I don’t know what to do. Like about how much she should pay me?

Wow, that's great $140 a week...for the 1 year old.

Id say to be fair if you have the 4 year old all day the $140 would be the same as above child.

The other 2 should be in school half day at lease and id say $20; for both them less than 3 hours...$50 if till 5pm...

I do not put up with name calling misbehavior.

I have a info guidelines for parents to sign...a couple warnings and....I'd say they need someone new.

Their are a lot of great kids to watch you dont need to be miserable.

Just think if you have all 3 kids all day...the parent should pay over $300 a week...so upping rates usually displaces people too...

• helene

You need to tell people UP FRONT what you will charge and what the money includes and does not include. That was your mistake. You probably won't get a cent more out of her, so just tell her you can't watch her kids anymore because they're too much trouble and are costing you money to feed them. Give her a week or two to make other arrangements.

Edit: THINK about this. She paid you $150 for two weeks. That's $75 for one week. $25 dollars per kid per week. FIVE dollars a day per kid. Don't feel sorry for her. Because she has no respect for you. She thinks you're only worth $15 a day. And her kids don't know how to behave.

• audrey

YOU ARE BEING USED!! Grow a spine. Walk away from that whole mess!

If it were me I'd tell the woman that I would no longer watch her children. Getting paid more money isn't going to resolve all the other issues nor will it relieve the stress you must be under. It sounds as though your niece is probably under that stress as well. Besides, if the lady can only pay you what she did she more than likely would not agree to pay you more. I would suggest you charge at least $150 a week for the younger child and maybe $150 for a week for the older two. Plus since it doesn't sound like you agreed to get only $150 for two weeks you should make it clear that she should owe you $450 but that you will accept half. And make it clear that if she doesn't start disciplining her children then you cannot watch them no matter what the price. Hopefully, she'll decide to find someone else and once you are relieved of the responsibility you can put an ad on Craigslist for another child or two. Hopefully they'll be better behaved. I know this is a lot easier for me to say than for you to do but you need to stand up for yourself. If you don't then no one else will. Life is too short to be letting people take advantage of your kind nature. Unfortunately, many people mistake this for weakness rather than what it actually is. You sound like a sweet person. Don't let this change that in you.