Can I crush my multivitamin and mix with food instead of swallowing whole? ?

It just says take one tablet with food. Doesn’t say anything about needing to take it whole. Will it still be the same? 

I read a while back that it’s better for the body to absorb it faster? True?? Because it has to break down the whole pill but if it’s crushed, it’s absorbed faster. I also read that some pills you cannot crush. But I don’t see anything on bottle saying to not crush it. Do you think it’s fine to crush into my breakfast every morning? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I will add, that crushing a vitamin will not appreciable make it absorb faster, nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, the stomach breaks things down pretty fast. So if you are crushing for that reason, its not a significant reason.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If it has niacin in it, be very careful. I ended up in the ER doing that. Doctor said never break up vitamins with timed release niacin in them.

• 4 weeks ago

Unless it is a "timed release" vitamin you could crush it. Timed release vitamins gives your system a regular dose of the vitamin throughout the day so even if you crush it you'll just get it all at once.

Some medicines you should not crush but vitamins are fine

• 4 weeks ago

It's fine to crush it. It might make your whole breakfast taste bad!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

if your eating food, why do you need a vitamin ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.