Leio asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Can you help me with English please?

There is no historical record of an Englishman ever living that was not wonderful.

1. What does "living" mean in this case? Living is a noun?

2. Record means "a piece of information of an event that is written on paper. Right?

Thank you!

Best Answer

'Living', in this context, means being alive. No, 'living' is not a noun.

A 'record' can take many forms. A picture of a person or event is a record. Marks on a block of clay or carved into stone are a record. Photographs are a record. Ancient writing on parchment (made from animal skin) is a record. Ancient writing on papyrus (made from reeds I believe) is a record. A computer file is a record. An audio recording is a record. Records can take many forms are not necessarily written or printed on paper. In the context of your sentence, it is very likely the intended meaning is 'group of written or printed words'

• Leio1 month agoReport

Oh my God! I've never seen this like that. Many thanks!

• John P

That sentence is not natural English. That sentence was not written by a native speaker of British English.

I would write; "There is no instance of any Englishman who has ever lived who has not been wonderful."

Or more simply: "Every Englishmen who has ever lived has been wonderful".

Living is an adjective (being alive)

Record can be any sort of document, a painting, a photograph, written or oral recording, but most commonly will be a manuscript, register, census return or the like.