Devin asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Ringing in ears when it’s silent?

It’s weird. I never noticed it because there’s always some type of sound going on around me. Buzzing, fans, wind, etc. but in the dead of the night when I happened to be awake finishing schoolwork the power went out. Naturally as with any power outage every electronic went off and there’s no noise at all going on in my house.

That’s when this uncontrollable loud ringing started in my ears. It got so loud to the point where I couldn’t try to go to sleep and it was borderline painful. So to fix this I went to my car and manually opened my garage and started driving around and just the sound of the engine made the ringing completely stop and go back to normal. Went home (power still out) and now the ringing is back. Is there something wrong with my hearing? Or is this normal for humans to not be able to tolerate complete silence? Appreciate any and all answers! Struggling to find an article on it online. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

the trick is to not think about it. I have the same thing and i found out that obsessing over it makes it worse.

It is Tinnitus.

It can be caused by exposure to excessively loud noise or various other things, even just dehydration.

It can sometimes be reduced by putting the fingers of one hand across the back of your head, just above the point where you can feel movement when move your head around, then tapping that with the tips of the fingers of the other hand.

(Think of a doctor doing a percussive test one someones chest or back).

It does not work with everyone.. I've had it for around 20 years...

See your doctor to see if they can find a cause and treatment.

• Rick B

That is called tinnitus. Go see a doctor.