How to get a fiancé visa on carers allowance?

I’m a student in college, getting carers allowance and universal credit. Weekly I get £25 from college £66 from carers allowance and £29 from universal credit which totals to £120 per week meaning I get £6,240 per year. 

I’m thinking about trying to get my fiancé to move in but the income requirement is £18,000+ 

I checked online and it says the requirement doesn’t apply to you if you’re on carers allowance but what does that mean? What is the rough requirement for those receiving carers allowance and how do I get my boyfriend to the UK with my income. 

I’m 18 and live with my mum who has disabilities and she gets £12,000 a year. Could we put this money together, even then it doesn’t reach £18,000. What should I do next?

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

    UK answer

    ''You won't need to meet this financial requirement if you have one or more of the following benefits:

    Disability Living Allowance

    Severe Disablement Allowance

    Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

    Attendance Allowance

    Carer's Allowance

    Personal Independence Payment

    Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

    Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme

    Police Injury Pension

    If you get one of these benefits, you'll just need to show that you receive enough money to look after your dependant - this is called ‘adequate maintenance’. How much this will be depends on your individual circumstances. You’ll need at least around £120 left per week after you’ve paid for your housing. If you have children you’ll need more than this.

    In all cases, the accommodation you will share must be ‘adequate’ and have enough space for your family.''

    In theory you have enough income to satisfy the financial criteria for a fiancé visa. However, this is only if you don't pay any rent and your college pays you all year round, which I doubt. You can earn up to £123 a week while on carer's allowance without losing any of it but for every £1 you earn you'll lose 63p from your universaal credits. If you don't pay rent you'll need to earn £40 a week to off set the proportion claimed by UC.

    You'll need paperwork to show the immigration department that it's regular work so you'll need a contract, or receipts if you're self employed, to show them that it's regular, long term employment. Your partner won't be able to work on a fiancé or spouse visa so are you willing to financially support him and can your relationship survive him being sat around the house all day with your mum with no friends of his own to turn to.

    • Shannon1 month agoReport

      Thanks so much for clearing up the financial requirements for me, it’s had me in quite a mess for a while. The best thing about him moving here instead of me moving there is that he’s pretty close with my family and is friends with all of my friends and has even started making new friends here.

    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Nothing, you cannot bring your fiance in if you are on welfare, how the hell could you support him, your mother's income does not count either.

  • 1 month ago

    finish school and get a good job....

  • Good luck. I lived in the UK on a fiance visa in the 90s. Unless marriage is really in your future,he wont be allowed to stay long. Best he get thereon his own. As your fiance you will be responsible for him and while that may seem great, it wont be if it doesnt work out.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Your fiancé/boyfriend being allowed into the UK almost certainly has nothing to do with you and your state benefits.

    Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and they'll be able to help you understand the rules.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.