I bought some blue barrels that previously contains hemisqualane. How do I clean these barrels so I can store potable water in them?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

    According to the MSDS for hemisqualane, one should not ingest nor even breath this stuff. It is also dangerous to get the dust of it into your eyes. One should wear nitrile gloves when handling the chemical and then wash their hands thoroughly after handling. So I would say that unless you have a really safe and thorough way to clean those barrels first, I would not use them for storing drinking water.

  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Looking at the SDS for hemisqualane, you don't. It isn't water soluble, so you can't just rinse them out. Hemisqualane is OSHA classified as harmful or fatal if swallowed, and doesn't specify what the minimum safe intake level is - which is to say, there isn't one. I think the only way to clean out the barrel is with solvents, and then of course you would have to clean the solvent residues out of the barrel, and THEN you would be left with the question of how to dispose of chemicals and water used to clean out the barrels.

    Take them back and trade them for barrels that contained a water-soluble, nontoxic material.

    If they were really cheap, there's a reason. The original owners don't want to deal with them any more than you do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.