risa asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

If I want to say I have an experience of living in US, can I say “I have lived in the US once.”? Does this mean “I am living in the US now”?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

"I used to live in the USA" means that you were living there, but you do not do so now.

"I now live in the USA" means what it says - you now live there (possibly you lived in a different place earlier in your life).

"I have been living in the USA for 3 years" (or whatever period of time) also means that you are now living in the USA.

Your idea of "I have lived in the USA once" is not natural English".

You could say "I once lived in the USA", or "I did once live in the USA", meaning a time in your life which was many years ago - you have not lived in the USA for a long time.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No.

I once lived in the United States [for X years].

You should say for how long; otherwise it is a meaningless statement. It also matters how long ago it was. If you are going to be driving a car, it may be a bad time to be applying for this job unless you drive on the left-hand side of the road in your native country, because of the current scandal of the diplomat's wife who killed a boy in the UK while driving on the wrong side of the road.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have a combination of tenses. It should be either “I lived in the US once” or “I have lived in the US.”

Both are actions which are complete so the implication is that you no longer live there.

• 1 month ago

"I've lived in the US" is fine, but not "I've lived in the US once." The verb tense is wrong. It would be "I lived in the US once", not "...I have lived".

• Brisco1 month agoReport

This answer is entirely correct, so I'm not sure why anyone would vote it thumbs down (unless they are not a native speaker and think they know better). To whoever voted it down, LEARN ENGLISH GRAMMAR geez!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's either "I live in the US" or "I used to live in the US".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.