Anonymous

Is this appropriate to ask a professor?

Suppose I am working on a homework assignment that proves harder than expected or even a paper for a class. In this case, I would either email the professor or go to their office hours depending on the type of assignment if I end up having more questions about the assignment. Let's say it is a draft of a research paper and the paper is hard. Or maybe a difficult problem on a homework assignment. Would it be appropriate to ask questions such as how many points I would receive for the work I have shown for the problem or how many points I would earn based on what I have written for the draft of the paper so far? The assignments of course have not been graded yet, so these questions pertain to if they were hypothetically already graded to see if I am in the right track. I greatly appreciate any advice and explanations of whether asking questions like this is appropriate and why or why not. Thank you very much!

I think it's the kind of question that can make a professor snap change how they think of you. This student seemed like a regular person who cared about the class and learning, oh...they just care about points.

• MS

It is not appropriate to ask a professor to grade your incomplete work to see where you stand.  It would be appropriate to ask for help completing it - how to do problems, where to go with a paper or essay, etc.  You should have specific questions.

• Lv 7

Unfortunately, your professor will likely not do this. Let me explain a story that happened to me in high school. I was in regular English classes, and I found them to be too easy. So I switched to advanced English classes. My regular English teachers would always read our essay drafts and give us suggestions for each iteration. When I went to my advanced English class, I expected the same. So I asked my teacher to look over my essay draft. She laughed in my face and said, "Absolutely not!!!" Keep in mind, this was HIGH SCHOOL. So, I imagine if someone asks this of a college professor, they would get angry!

No. It's inappropriate to request your professor to grade an incomplete product, or to grade your paper in various stages along the way. Unless that is part of the assignment (to hand in an outline and a rough draft) you are on your own for the entire assignment.

Any questions about format and process is better presented to the writing lab than the professor. And if you have trouble locating particular sources, then the research librarian is a better source of information.

You can certainly visit office hours and ask about areas that might be sticking points on your research paper. But I doubt you'll get anything more useful out of the professor than "that sounds like a very interesting subject; I'm looking forward to reading about it." You're the expert on the particular topic of your research, not the professor.

NO that is not!

• Jimmy1 month agoReport

The way you are talking about it sounds like you are making a sexual advance on the professor and want to have condomless plow plow with this professor. That is not appropriate.