Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

What should I do?

I don’t know what to do.  I’ve met someone who’s here on a visa, in Australia.  He said his dad has American citizenship.  He has citizenship in two other countries but hasn’t been clear about whether he has American citizenship.  His dad’s a US citizen, he has family living in Australia he could get Australian citizenship from that I’m going to meet soon, he has a job on the approved list for permanent residency (engineer); and it looks legitimate.  He even knows I can’t sponsor him to get him citizenship and he doesn’t care.  He said he can stay in Australia long term without my help.  Is this true?  

• Brooky
    Favorite Answer

First of all, he categorically CANNOT get citizenship via family living in Australia. Australia does NOT have 'chain' migration.

If he is a degree qualified engineer and can obtain a positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia, there is a chance that he could get a permanent visa, but the points required to get an invitation to apply for a visa for most engineering occupations are extremely high (at least 85 and for some types of engineer, 95). If he's under 30-ish and doesn't have a post-graduate degree from study in Australia, he would be most unlikely to actually be able to get a visa. Simply having an eligible occupation is only a fairly small part of what's needed.

Tread very carefully. He sounds pretty dodgy to me.

• Maxi

You keep asking the same question, so you logically know this person is not what he states he is

Just because he says his dad is US citizen does not mean dad has met US residency requirements prior to his birth & could have gotten him US citizenship. Or if his dad naturalized, it takes a long time to file a petition for an adult child over 21 & wait for a possible immigration visa, IF the father qualifies to sponsor!

There's a lot of "pie in the sky by and by" with this guy. I would say "nice meeting you. Perhaps we'll run into each other again sometime." IF he's pursuing you, I would not believe him. He has ulterior motives, a Hidden Agenda. Protect yourself.