Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 month ago

Am I a bad child for wanting to use my $ to go abroad to look at schools for a Ph.D instead of helping struggling parents with bills?

I got a decent lab job that pAys well.  I want to go abroad to look at schools to attend for my future degrees. My parents have a hard time paying the bills. I got my bachelor’s via scholarships, my parents did not pay for my education 

"bad child"?? Seriously, if you cannot even think of yourself as an adult, you may as well move back home & help the folks from there - no matter what you do, sounds like they have a guilt trip headed your way. SO, you can make your own life, or support theirs.

You should get a PhD, if that is what you want to do. Then when you get a PhD job, you can always help your parents then, and you are more likely to be able to help them more. I think they would be proud of you getting a ph.d.