Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 4 weeks ago

What to do to become a wedding photographer in India?

How to make a living out of wedding photography and where to start and approach things first and what are the things I should know (ps I do know composition) but really, what's the most important thing? Fyi, I am paralyzed by the anxiety my father causes asking me to get some random job for money...what do you suggest?

• keerok

The most important thing when going professional as a photographer is your ability to convince people to pay you to take their pictures.

• Frank

Do not make the mistake of taking on wedding photography jobs before you area ready. You're photographing one of the most important days of two people's lives, and so you do not want to F**K it up.

Knowing composition is good, but there is a lot more to wedding photography than the rule of thirds. What about lighting? Do you know how to set up studio lighting? That's just one of the many facets of wedding photography. I would strongly suggest that you get a job as an assistant to an established wedding photographer. Being an assistant or even an apprentice, you will learn so much about the business of wedding photography. Remember wedding photography is first and foremost a business. You have to know how to run a business correctly and profitably. THE NUMBER ONE reason for photography businesses to bankrupt is because the owners didn't have a good understanding of how to run a business. They have excellent composition skills, but that just not enough.

I'd say to hep you with getting a job as an assistant, you first need a portfolio. No one is going to hire someone as a photography assistant who does not have a good photography portfolio. Get your portfolio together. By this I mean have a physical leather portfolio with 10-15 of your best photos wedding related images printed out. Your portfolio must ONLY contain photos that relate to wedding photography. So no sunsets or landscapes or anything else that is not wedding photography. You must also have these same images on your website. You can use Square Space or something like to create your own website. I've not used Square Space, but I hear it's one of the better tools to help you design a website.

If you do not have a portfolio, then use your family and friends as substitutes. Have them act as the bride and groom. Make a party out of it. Invite people and have them dress up as if they're going to a wedding. Plan ahead of the types of shots that you want to create. Meet them at a local church, temple, or some popular place that weddings are held. It does not matter if the people in the shots are really at a real wedding. What matters is that you have photos that show off your incredible skills.

I would also encourage you to take a look at kelbyone.com which is a website that sells video tutorials on photography. Not just on composition, but lighting, the business side such as marketing, and on specific types of photography such as fashion and wedding. They also have a lot of tutorials on Photoshop and post-processing in general. So if you need to learn stuff from experts, I'd try kelbyone or lynda.com.