Are the stars worn by the US police the same as they are of the US military?

Different ranking system entirely.

• Daniel

There are thousands of police departments in the US.  Some might use the same design & specifications of rank insignia as the US military while others might have slightly different specifications for size.  Some use gold instead of silver.  

You mean like general stars>? I do not see any police department calling their senior officers GENERAL. They call them Chief of Police or Police Commissioner or etc.

what the heck is US police?

No. There are no generals in police forces, at least none I've heard. Stars represent police commanders or police chiefs, depending on the police department.

No, symbols of rank bear some resemblance between civil and military. It's not official that way though. When my dad was watch commander in Chicago, he had 2 gold bars. There is no equivalent in the armed forces. Gold bar ensign or Lt. One silver bar LTJG or first Louie two gold bars didn't exist 2 silver bars is a captain or full louie