Are the stars worn by the US police the same as they are of the US military?

Are the stars worn by the US police the same as they are of the US military?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Different ranking system entirely.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There are thousands of police departments in the US.  Some might use the same design & specifications of rank insignia as the US military while others might have slightly different specifications for size.  Some use gold instead of silver.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Are you switching from playing Army to playing Police boy in your basement?

• 4 weeks ago

You mean like general stars>? I do not see any police department calling their senior officers GENERAL. They call them Chief of Police or Police Commissioner or etc.

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

They might not use the same terminology, but some police departments use the same insignia.  Look up NYPD's insignia for example.  They use oak leaves for inspectors and stars for chiefs

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

what the heck is US police?

• 4 weeks ago

No. There are no generals in police forces, at least none I've heard. Stars represent police commanders or police chiefs, depending on the police department.

• 4 weeks ago

No, symbols of rank bear some resemblance between civil and military. It's not official that way though. When my dad was watch commander in Chicago, he had 2 gold bars. There is no equivalent in the armed forces. Gold bar ensign or Lt. One silver bar LTJG or first Louie two gold bars didn't exist 2 silver bars is a captain or full louie

• Fin4 weeks agoReport

You're slightly off, a captain (O-3) is not called a full louie. Louies are for LTs only and unless it came back is a fairly dated term. 2nd LTs or Ensigns are commonly referred to as butter bars (half louie). Your full louie is your 1st LT or LTJG

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.