How do you know what JLPT level you fit into?

So, I'm studying Japanese, and I use a lot of different apps to help, but sometimes an app will ask me what JLPT level I'm on and I don't know for sure. I know JLPT 5 is the easiest, and JLPT 1 is the hardest, but I really don't know where I would fit in. I started questioning this when I started using a new app called "Bunpo." I thought level 5 would be best, but so far it's really easy and I know it already. Although, I don't want to tell proficient speakers, like parts of my family, that I'm JLPT 4 because I don't want them to be disappointed if they give me JLPT level questions I have no idea how to answer. How do I know where I fit in?? 

• Ben

You can find full mock test papers online. Why not try taking one and see?

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. Exam results are ultimately only one way of testing how much you know of a language. Unless you are learning in a way specifically targeted at passing the exams, it's very likely that you know a lot of things from "higher levels" than you ostensibly are, yet at the same time there may well be some things from lower levels which you do not know. It sort of doesn't mean that much.

The best test is actual proficiency, rather than examined proficiency. That is, how well are you able to converse with people in Japanese, both understanding what they are saying and replying to them, and how well are you able to read Japanese.

• Jay

it is inherently known