Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Scared about ageing dog?

Sounds funny I know, but I got him at 10yrs and I’m now almost 22yrs. I never had a lot of friends but I always felt really close to him. 

Recently, he’s been “slower”. When I walk him he walks slower, sometimes taking very long to pee. He doesn’t seem as active as in I used to bring him out every day for an hour, throw some toys for him but now he seems to prefer just sitting. I know what this means :/ I know it means he’s getting old. He is 12 after all, and his breed lives 12-15 years.

I’m just scared to wake up one morning and see him not moving. What can I do to prepare myself? 

Quality of life is important to your pet. You owe your friend a good "going over" to determine what is going on, by going to the vet for a FIRM diagnosis. Senior dogs over age 10 need to see the vet every 6 months.

You need a full blood panel including kidney & thyroid function. (If this gland affecting metabolism) slows down or become impaired, it will slow up the dog, (both mentally & physically) but with thyroid supplementation (very inexpensive Rx - you can get at Costco) the dog can return to almost normal levels of activity.

If your dog has any spinal or joint arthritis, that needs to be diagnosed & treated, again for a more active and pain-free existence.

Unfortunately all pets die, but we can give them the best possible older life, by working with their doctor. Nothing can prepare you for the loss of a pet. But knowing you did do everything possible (or financially reasonable) to provide a good life for them, as you move towards elder care, palliative care & even hospice or euthanasia - is important.

You cannot prepare yourself for the death of love ones. But you can honor him and cry your brain out when he goes. Let it all out, it's good for you while respecting his existence. I prefer we focus on what you can do to prepare him for his time. They get cold easily so make sure his has a soft warm bed with edging for him to cozy up against and so he wouldn't slide off. The bedding should be covered with cotton material (I used a 100% clean recently worn t-shirt with a mild scent of me as the top sheet when I can't be around); place bed in a quiet place but near you so he could be comforted knowing you are near; he needs to reconcile the separation too. I'm crying writing this--but it's all good, because that's how things should be. "I cry for your passing and will love the next because of you," that's what I'll whisper to him. Buy him gourmet pet food, mix it with room temperature water, just in case he can't chew as before (observe and adjust to his capability); the gourmet food also have less chemicals, better for his weaken digestion. (Some pets go off on their own to die in the woods, easier not to see the end but sad not being there for them--nothing would die along if I could help it.) He may go fast or slow (all my pet died of old age but each ending was different); stay open minded and handle it for HIM as best you can. Don't abandon him not matter how scare you may be, by comforting him you are comforting yourself too. You may want to put a weewee pad near his bedding in case he can't go the usual way. Keep his area warm, quiet, and clean. Lucky for me all my pets' endings were just me and my buddy so I can ball cry ugly and heavy naturally. As with everything the emotional connection will evaporate, moving from the heart to the brain, living in memory for the rest of my life. Wish you the best, give him a little kiss for me.

• PR

Help your dog by getting regular physical exams for him at the vet. Dogs need their blood work checked and other things more regularly once they get to this age, and this will help your dog live a better and possibly longer life. 

Look into giving him some efa's and a healthy food. 

I would take him to the vet for a check-up.

by realizing that theres nothing you can do about it but try to enjoy him whatever time you have left

I have never found anything that makes the inevitable more acceptable, easier to bear. I've always enjoyed every day, kept my animals well treated medically, but none of that has helped with the eventual loss.

• CB

Interestingly enough your dog will likely be slow for a few years then when things get bad you will be prepared for his demise. Often they seem to let you know when it is time. Don't be afraid to euthanize, you don't want him living in too much pain for too long (just cruel). Your vet can offer you pain and inflammatory drugs to improve quality of life in the waning years - so a trip to see the vet is a good thing.

When the time comes it will be heartbreaking no doubt the love between a pet and owner is very deep. Just knowing you did right by the dog should ease the pain a bit though.

Source(s): Lost three old pets in the last several years.
  • Kyle

unfortunately, that's just part of life. my cat is almost 15 years old and may also come to pass soon. just enjoy your furry friend while you have them around, but know they will go to rest eventually. when they do pass, take the time to mourn. you care for them like a friend, family member, sometimes more than family. remember the fun times, the pictures or videos you have, fun stories, anything. know your friend is in a better place now.

if it's been a while, maybe consider taking him to a vet. just get him checked out to make sure it isn't anything more than old age. that can help put you to ease a little bit.

but dying is unfortunately part of life. but overtime, when you are ready, consider adopting another pet. not thinking of replacing him, but giving another furry friend an opportunity to live with you in your loving home. create more memories. try different things. some people find that helps as well.