promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHyundai · 6 months ago

My Hyundai Santa Fe caught fire during the ride home after completion of regular maintenance service.  It is a total loss.  Anyone else?

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have Comprehensive coverage, file a claim with your insurance company. Comprehensive covers fire damage.

Your insurance company will go over your burned-out car with a fine-tooth comb. If your insurance company determines that you did not intentionally set the fire, they will write you a check for the fair market value of your car, and you'll use it to go out and buy another car.

If the insurance company determines that something the mechanic did or didn't do caused the fire, they'll probably go after the mechanic for their reimbursement. That won't concern you. That will be the mechanic's problem - not yours.

If you don't have Comprehensive coverage, then you're going to have to sue the mechanics and prove that THEY caused the fire. Good luck proving that.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

After it was serves-ed, get an attorney NOW and sue the pants off them.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

My Toy caught fire, I put it out before too much damage, Burnt paint on hood, some wires/fuel lines messed up. More upsetting than damaged. I had to avoid it a few days as I'd spent a long time replacing hoses. Still hard to look at it.

• 6 months ago

They don’t have a reputation for catching fire, unlike some older Vauxhall/Opel models.

The problem is far more likely due to a mistake during the maintenance service.

Let your insurer take care of the damage and they can then have the problem of finding the cause as they will then pursue recovery of their costs from the liable party.

If the car isn’t insured then you have a choice: suck it up and calculate whether the savings you made by not insuring have outweighed your loss, or pay a professional insurance engineer to examine the wreck to determine the exact cause and then try to sue the liable party for the loss of your car and your inspection costs, plus any other directly-consequential losses, such as car hire whilst looking for a replacement car. But Courts don’t like anything they regard as timewasting and with this kind of claim the initial standpoint is that had you insured the car then the Court would not have to deal with this. So if you won, you might pay your costs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Anyone else? Cars catch fire from time to time. Your insurance assessor may be able to determine the cause. If your insurance doesn't cover the incident I think you will be out of pocket.

• 6 months ago

Not seeking advice. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar/same experience.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Is that even a question????

• bo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

go after the shop who did the service

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

maybe you should turn them in for not doing their jobs right

• 6 months ago

Pour gasoline over it and light a match on it. That will get rid of damage and you will have a nice shiny car

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.