Do I have to go to college immediately after high school?

I will go to college eventually but first I want to get a job, make some money, and get professional help for my depression and social anxiety but I feel like it would be weird if I didn't go to college immediately after high school like everyone does. 

Best Answer

Well I think that you should go to college like everyone else. But you have a choice. If you want help with depression, choose a college that has a doctor of psychology program. They likely have a clinic where they practice.. That means that you could get free help while getting a good college education. But the other thing is that colleges offer a chance to start over. You leave behind the idiots that you go to high school with. Starting over with new opportunities and friends who are more serious about the future is a great way to start your journey into the next phase of your life. Also, you can have a part time job while in college. I had one and it paid for over half of my college expenses. I left college without any student loans, and cash in my pocket, thanks to my part time job. A pizzeria can be a great place to work(mom and pop type, instead of a chain type). They understand when test time comes around, you need extra time to study. good luck.

I personally recommend building a solid resume, then applying to a real job that interests you and offers advancement in the company based on your performance, alot of the time jobs like this will pay for you to go to college part time while you work for them. Sure it might take you 5-6 years for a bachelor's degree, but it's free and you have real work experience, something alot of newly college grads lack.

• MS

People attend college at all different points of adulthood.  You should go when it's best for you to go.  I think it's a good idea to make sure you're in a good place mentally before taking on a potentially stressful endeavor like that.  It's not weird at all to wait.

No, of course not.  You and your family should decide when, if ever, is the right time to attend college.  Millions of people don't follow the traditional "right out of high school" model.  Some take a gap year, some work for a couple of years, some go part-time online, some go to a traditional 4-year university years after high school graduation.  Your primary goal should be to deal with your depression and anxiety.  These are well treated in teens with a combination of lifestyle changes, CPT counseling, and (sometimes) medication.  

thats up to you to decide

• Brian

Some do find it easier to go right after, but it is not required.