Can a lease which has been renewed 10 months early be "unrenewed"?

My daughter is 19 and in College. I had to co-sign to get her into an apartment. She is 2 months into her 1 year lease. The apartment manager called my daughter and offered her a discounted rate for a second year if she came in and renewed early...10 months early. My daughter went in to the office thinking she was doing something smart; however, was then told they could not renew for a discounted rate, but she should still renew for another year because she could at least keep the same rate, otherwise the rate will go up. She signed. I never did. They say they only need her signature and there is nothing I can do. Even if they do not need my signature, it sure seems like a renewal that does not start until 10 months in the future could be voided. My daughter was mislead and lied to...am I stuck for another year?

Best Answer

No, you are not "stuck" with another year, and I agree that you should be concerned.  I would never do it in advance.  Who knows what will happen until then.  You co-signed for the one year lease, right?  So that is ALL you are bound by.  Write to them, making it clear that you co-signed the ONE year lease and have no intention to co-sign for another year this far in advance and they are wrong about not needing your signature. Also tell them that they should re-think the lease they coerced your daughter into signing.  Tell them that she has no income - they know she is in school and perhaps, they would like to call her in a mutually agree to tear it up.

• Maxi

You adult daughter signed so she is stuck, you are stuck until end of the original contract

If she's signed but you haven't - then she is stuck with the future lease, which is legally binding. You are not a party to the second lease; only the first.

No you are not. Tell them that she alone cannot obligate you to a second year, and if they try to enforce it against you, you will sue them and ask for punitive damages.

• DEBS

Sounds like your daughter now has a lease 100% under her name. You're off the hook.

maybe she should talk to someone over that manager about it

Yes it can - always

The term would be breaking the lease, not unrenewed. Call & ask the penalties.

• Judy

Your daughter is stuck with it. You didn't sign - you aren't'.

yep, her signature alone makes it fully valid...they just can't come after you for payment during the new lease.

nope, at least in most areas it cannot be voided...

she wasn't lied to when they reversed themselves, she knew what she was signing....and I assume she has a cell phone and could have called you on the spot for advice or at least insisted on waiting until she spoke to you

• Someguy1 month agoReport

Quick followup here...I am still considered the cosigner for the renewal period. I suppose the real question here is "The renewal period does not start for another 10 months, does that make any difference?" It's almost a year away!