NROTC WHILE IN RESERVES?

I am a high school senior looking to become a submarine officer in the US Navy. I have looked into the NROTC Scholarship and I am applying for it, albeit I don’t believe my resumé is competitive enough to receive it. As a result, I am still pursuing a commission through NROTC, but also am interested in enlisting in the Navy Reserves as a means to give me some military experience and to have a little bit of extra money to help cover my living expenses at college. I have attempted some research to find others with a similar situation, but haven’t found much. So, I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to be enlisted in the Navy Reserves and be a NROTC cadet concurrently?

2. If I enlisted in the Navy Reserves, I would have to attend boot camp and “A” School in the summer following my high school graduation. This training would likely take at least 5 months to complete. How would this affect me starting college? Would I be able to just start a college classes couple of months late? Or is there any way around this?

3. If I am still on contract in the Reserves and commission through ROTC, would my Reserve contract be voided?

4. Any additional advice that any of you have on my situation would be greatly appreciated (even though this isn’t a question, lol)

If you made it this far, thank you for reading, and any response would mean a whole lot to me.

• Mark B

No.  The Army is the only service that allows simultaneous membership.  For all other services, you would be immediately released from the Reserves in order to be a member of ROTC.

You would not be able to be in college while attending boot camp and "A" school.  You can ask your college about joining mid-semester, but they will say no.  They only way around this is to do a full 4 years of ROTC.  In that case, you would not be going to boot camp or "A" school.

For all service but the Army, your are released from the Reserves upon joining ROTC.  For Army, you are discharged from the Reserves at the time you receive your commission.  So, your question is meaningless.  It can't happen in the Navy.

If you can't get a Navy scholarship, look into the Army or Army SMP program (simultaneous Reserves and ROTC).  If you are set on Navy, you won't be doing Reserves.

Source(s): Went through Army ROTC for 4 years. Received a 2-year SMP scholarship.

More men getting raped in the military than women?😳🙄 What Must Change (Table of Contents on page #4) Jw.org Library. Matthew24:10 'many will betray one another', Numbers 23:19 'God is not a mere man who tell lies'. The Almighty True God that will eliminate all of societies problems at the same time? (1) Archaeological find proves God's Name is Jehovah! Amazing! YouTube (2) Jehovah is not just a Name given to by Jehovah's Witnesses. It is his Name (Jewish research) YouTube. (3) How many Bible's have Jehovah as God's Name? Answers.com. (4) Yahweh in English Means what? Oxford Advance Dictionary (5) Jehovah God's Name in over 120 Languages at Jw.org Official Website/Read the Bible/Appendix A/A5 bottom of the page, 1% of it? The future of ALL wicked ones worldwide? Psalms37:1-13, 20, 34, Proverbs 6:16-19, Zephaniah1:14-18 'extermination. "Oh Jehovah,...I trust in you" (Video) Jw.org Online Video Library / Movies. 1% of an Historical account of what REAL POWER is all about in the Heavens!

• Mrsjvb

nope.  the  Army is the only branch that permits that.  

if you go reserves at all times your military obligation takes precedence.  that means starting college a semester or two later if necessary, and no missing out on drill  to watch/play a football game 

that being said, the college can not penalize you for missing classes due to your military obligations.  most professors are willing to work with regarding test-taking/final grades, within reason.   don't expect to be allowed to withdraw 3 weeks before the term ends, but you might be allowed to receive a final grade based on your current standing at that time.  they cannot suspend, or withdraw any financial aid either.  even if you get called up to deploy( rare, but does happen)  

as for ROTC:  there will be obligations outside of the weekly class.   you can expect most of your summer will be taken up with  OJT in the Fleet, and you will do a variety of things.  Carrier ops one summer,  a Fighter Squadron another, etc.  

you cannot be in the reserves and NROTC at the same time

that will actually prevent you from being in NROTC

2/ only the ARMY has a smp program, where you can do both